The Queen of the Jungle

Eventually the huntresses were dismissed to prepare for the morning's challenge. The open ceiling was covered and torches were lit. Akiva and Maira were left to speak with The Lioness in private. The Waste Tiger chained May to a pillar herself before departing for the night. Akiva knew that just beyond the curtain waited two wildcats ready to pounce, but for all intents and purposes they were alone.

In the firelight The Lioness appeared more severe, more harsh, edges sharper than they'd been before the assembled huntresses. She leaned back in her throne and studied the young women. Akiva stood in the center of the room, waiting for Goddess knew what. She was afraid and anxious. Staying still seemed to be the safest thing to do. Despite her feet being rooted to the spot, Akiva's eyes were constantly drawn to Maira. There was so much she wanted to say to the redheaded valkyrie, so much she needed to explain.

Desdemona laughed heartily, drawing the girl's attention. The Lioness shook her head. She removed the crown of The Yellow Sun, and sat it in her lap. Her hair spilled out around her shoulders, braids of grey and a brown so dark it was almost black. Suddenly she looked more youthful even as the colors of her mane attested to her age.

"This one is not your pet, no, Field Mouse. You look at her the way I looked at my first love, and you are Phalanx at heart. Pets are against The Mother's laws."

Akiva tried to hide her expression with below average results.

"I am no fool, girl. I know you are no wildcat and I know that one is your lover. Don't insult me by pretending. Admit it, yes?"

"Y... yes, Lioness," Akiva said. Her heart raced as she scanned the room for ways out. The Lioness was one of fierce emotions and violent impulses. She wouldn't kill Akiva, because The Yellow Sun expected a challenge, but she would hurt her.

"Good. Go to her and assure her that you are safe for now. She looks more afraid than you did the first time my cats brought you before me."

Akiva was wary of The Lioness's kindness, but couldn't deny her eagerness to be by Maira's side. She ran to May, grabbing her face and kissing her without thinking. Maira pulled away, her face red, her eyes suspicious. Akiva kissed her again, but with no reciprocation of her passion she too pulled away.

"Why, Akiva? Why would you be involved with these savages?" Maira took no effort to lower her voice.

"May, calm down," Akiva said. "I can't explain, not here."

"You need to explain now! These animals just killed a woman for linens, for rags. These aren't people, Kiva, they're barely better than infected."

"Lower your voice." Akiva glanced over her shoulder at the throne and the woman upon it. "She is The Lioness of The Yellow Sun."

"Why should that matter?"

"The Mothers still keep their assassin's catalog." Desdemona called from across the room. "You call it The Book of False Queens, no? The Valkyrie are told to kill any whose name resides within its pages. I was once told my name is written on page 272. That young woman tried to kill me so I took her head.

"I actually thought my Field Mouse was another assassin with her pretty trinkets and seeds for trade." The Lioness rose from her throne and paced before the dais. "I watched her because I was intrigued and my Latisha had taken a liking to her. Eventually I came to believe her honeyed words. I was quite the old fool, Field Mouse, yes?"

"What is she talking about?"

"Akiva Raheem killed me, Red One, but I didn't notice until long after she'd scurried away. She spoke of settlements and growing things. She traded seed and the knowledge of how to plant them. Reavers don't grow things, reavers don't put down roots. Reavers take, and reavers move on. She killed me with a plow, because knives and bullets had failed too many times."