➶ 6

AN EVERLASTING THROBBING sensation pounded mercilessly and ruthlessly as I reached for the bottle of aspirin on my bedside. While snuggling closer to the bedsheets with a sneeze, I popped a tablet into my mouth, gulping down water generously.

Monday had returned, but thankfully, I was excused from any further lectures until I recovered from my excruciating cold. When the Headmaster had visited, her expression told me it all⁠—this was nothing new to her. After forcing a small pitiful smile, refusing to look me in the eye, I knew that even given her position, she was powerless.

Photos of my humiliation were anonymously uploaded online, a popular blog with seven million fans. Daniel had been the first to comment with derogatory insults that made my skin tingle with indescribable anger. And after reading thousands of hateful remarks, I no longer had the energy to read anymore. Despite that my features were not visible, any student attending St. Blair's would recognize who it was. They were people who did not know me personally, but Liana, an influential individual, could make anything happen.

When the front door of my dormitory unlocked, I massaged my temples in hopes to calm the raging storm in my head. The footsteps grew closer, and the edge of the bed sunk, "Caly, how are you feeling?" asked the soothing voice carefully, the back of her hand pressing against my forehead. "What exactly happened?"

"This is my fault," Zavian trailed off, "I feel like I could have done something more,"

I winced, sliding myself back to the headboard, "Don't blame yourself, Zavian," I mumbled, "I'm perfectly fine," I assured the two, "It was only a lousy prank."

Asra, my best friend, slumped with her fists clenched as she crossed her arms bitterly, "Calista, she humiliated you," she gritted out slowly, "What the hell is wrong with these people? Do they not know who you are?!" an exasperated sigh escaped past her lips, "I've transferred to this academy, and I begin tomorrow."

I rubbed my eyes, murmuring tiredly, "All the seats should be closed,"

"As you say, money buys the common population," she reminded with a clipped tone. Asra had always been the most protective out of the three, and currently, she was livid. I peeked an eye towards Zavian, pleading that he'd change the conversation.

He cleared his throat, "How was Japan, Asra?"

Asra's entire mood brightened suddenly, and I wondered if she was bipolar. She beamed, squealing, "Mother and I started a clothing line!" she grinned, "My grandmother insisted that we include traditional clothing as well," she added, "I've got to admit, kimonos are possibly the comfiest clothes to exist."

I smiled, "Sounds like you had the time of your life for the past five months,"

"I haven't forgotten about the ordeal," commented Asra immediately, "But for your sake, I won't tell your father." I exhaled in relief. "Get some rest, Zavian is going to show me around,"

Zavian nodded, "We'll be back later," I narrowed my eyes at Zavian, warning him to keep her in check, especially since Asra and I had taken self-defense lessons last year. And I also remembered how desperately she wanted to try these moves on someone. "Relax, I've got this."

I watched as the two disappeared past the door, and I hoped that Zavian had it under control.

WITH ASRA AND ZAVIAN accompanying me wherever I ventured, the snide remarks grew less frequent, but the hateful rumors never died down

WITH ASRA AND ZAVIAN accompanying me wherever I ventured, the snide remarks grew less frequent, but the hateful rumors never died down. They were people who did not know the first thing about me, yet had so much to say. Not once were the words spoken to me directly, but I knew the lingering question they had—why was I still here? Any other sane individual would have fled for the hills long ago, but here I was, walking the hallways as if I was untouchable.

It certainly didn't help my case when professors—Professor Lawing, in particular, grew quite fond of me. In his presence, I unquestionably felt protected. He was possibly one of the wealthiest individuals in the building.

The malicious rumors began, claiming that to receive this unheard-of special treatment, I had been sleeping with him. When Liana had tossed an innocent smile during lunch, I gnawed at my lip, clenching my fists until my nails prickled at my skin. Swallowing my pride as I forced the salad that made me feel nauseous.

I nudged my foot at Asra, who happened to be fuming, "God, I wish you would do something, Calista," she hissed in irritation. I sent her a passive glance, whom in response, dwindled with a fork between her fingers. "I remember, I do."

"This will all eventually die down," I replied, unsure if I was attempting to convince her, or me. When my phone began ringing at the usual time it did, I wiped my lips with the pale cloth, forcing a smile as I excused myself. "My father is calling," I sent a smile, "See you two tomorrow."

Without awaiting another word, I swiftly stood up to exit the dining area, where mild insults were quietly thrown. Holding my breath until the doors shut, "Hi, papa," my enthusiastic voice greeted, hoping he would believe into my facade.

"You sound awfully joyful today, my gem, is everything okay?"

I paused, "Yes, everything is perfect," I commented, "Mr. Lawing is an incredible professor, and I was very excited to tell you all about it,"

"That old geezer?" my father laughed, "I haven't seen him in decades!"

Lost in conversation, I slammed into a body, feeling myself lose balance as I felt his rough palm shove me away. Slamming into the wall, I swallowed meekly, "Watch where you're going," he snapped rudely, kicking my iPhone as he sauntered away. "You will never belong here, you are nobody."

And I didn't realize I was holding my breath until he was completely out of sight. Slowly, I reached for my phone that laid in shatters, the screen entirely smashed. "What was that noise? The sound cut off, my gem,"

"I fell, papa, and broke my phone," I explained, "I'm sorry," I apologized, hurrying up to my dormitory where I would feel free from the stares.

He laughed, "My clumsy girl, what shall you like as your replacement?"

"Surprise me," I answered lightly, resisting the dying urge to scream as I wondered how these people could be so hateful.