Silver and Gold

"This is the second time I've found you barely breathing," a familiar, raspy voice spoke, guiding Sun from the darkness of her unconsciousness

"This is the second time I've found you barely breathing," a familiar, raspy voice spoke, guiding Sun from the darkness of her unconsciousness. Seconds after Sun began to stir, she sat upright, first noticing the silk duvet, lightly blanketing her body. The feel of the silk fabric was cool against the exposed part of her lower legs. Her gown and corset were missing; the only remnants of her outfit left were a lace undershirt and a long, frilly underskirt that stopped just above her knees. In modesty, Sun reached for the plush covering, wrapping it around all of her body. She finally dared to meet Prince Crow's gaze.

"How did I-"

"How did you end up in bed or how did you up in your undergarments?" Prince Crow asked, arching a brow. He had been sat in the Victorian chair adjacent Sun with amused eyes that contradicted his casual, uncaring disposition.

"Both."

"Well..." Crow sat up in the chair. His hands pressed against his tunic to straighten the formed wrinkles. "I carried you on the bed. The maids undressed you to remove the corset. I continued to monitor your breathing. But mostly, you snored."

Sun was mortified. "Did you watch as they stripped me and remove the corset?"

The prince's lips curled into a slow smile as he glared at her. "I'm a perfect gentleman."

"Lies," Sun snorted. "You were just watching me as I slept in my undergarments."

"As I've stated, I was monitoring your breathing. You seem to have a death wish." Crow frowned, daring a slow gaze down her body. "And you are perfectly covered."

"I-"

"To be honest, I have more important things to deal with."

"And yet, you are here."

"Yes." Crow's jaw clenched. "Here I am."

"And what even made you come to my room to begin with?"

Prince Crow stood to his feet, governing the space around him. He was broad shouldered and pure muscle. Each movement was swift and sure as he causally walked toward her bed the way a natural predator stalked its prey. Everything about the prince screamed fierce and cunning. It was why Sun tried to avoid looking at him as much as humanly possible.

He stopped inches from her bed and titled his head to the side, examining her. "You should stay out of those corsets. You looked like a fish out of water."

"You're so very flattering," Sun sarcastically retorted, angry enough to meet his eyes. "As you have stated, I'm sure you have other issues more important than trying to insult me, your highness."

"I lied. The castle is quite boring today, actually," Crow crooned. "I thought I'd returned home to a pile of drama and social politics, but it appears everyone is well behaved. Apparently your arrival has stolen the show. That, or everyone is too busy scheming for the Welcome Ball, tonight."