Chapter 43: Antisocial Media

Rule #13: Antisocial Media 

Rebels don't brag about what they do. #thuglife

- () - 

"I want to take pictures of you," Archer tells me one evening, when we've finished taking his horse, Brutus, out for a run. He offers his hand to me and I take it, using to push myself off the saddle and onto the sand.

"You already have," I point out, leading Brutus back to the stables. 

"Not silhouettes or drawings. I want to take actual pictures of you, of us," Archer leans against the stable door, blocking the sun so that the rays tint his hair gold. "And I promise nobody's going to the see the photos besides me - and maybe Instagram. 

I take a minute to respond, focusing on removing all the materials from Buster. I refill his dinner, then turn back to face Archer. He's watching me quietly, having not moved from his previous position.

"No pictures," I shake my head and walk outside.

"I could make it a rule," He suggests, following me.

"Then I'll veto it." 

Just as I'm about to turn towards my house, Archer sets his hands on either side of my waist and twists me around so I'm facing me. He doesn't say anything so I know that it's my turn to speak.

"I'm not comfortable with having photos taken of me," I remind him. "It's not you - it's just the whole idea in general. Can't you just draw me?" 

"I could," He agrees. "But that's time consuming and I don't have a lot of time right now, especially with all the exams coming up. It's not that I want huge artistic shots of you Peyton. I want little pictures of us, every day, like memories." 

It's sweet when he puts it that way. 

"I'll think about it," I say. 

He looks at me quietly. 

"Promise." 

Archer releases me and puts his hands into his pockets. There are circles under his eyes from the lack of sleep he's getting lately. I let him nap in my room after school, but clearly that's not enough. I want to find some way to comfort him, but I don't really know how.

"You should keep your Friday night open," I finally blurt out. The last lights of the sunset blink out, leaving the sky a hazy dark blue. "I have our first date planned - food and everything." 

"I thought this was our first date." 

"You're wrong. Today was just - um - don't wear anything too fancy, okay? I'm going to take you on a picnic?" 

"A picnic?" Archer raises an eyebrow.

"That's what I said." 

"Will there be veggie sandwiches?" 

I roll my eyes. "Sure, if you want them." 

"Well," Archer leans forward and pecks me on the forehead. "Then, it's a date." 

- () - 

I bring the topic of photos up with Dr. Robinson's therapy section. I don't know how many sessions I have left with her so I'm trying to fit in as much information as I can. I guess I must be babbling because she gives me a cup of herbal tea to relax. 

"Why do you think you feel so uncomfortable taking pictures?" Dr. Robinson says, finishing her own cup of tea. She sets it down on the desk. 

"I don't really know," I tip my own cup from side to side, watching the tea sway back and forth. "I thought it had to do something with Xavier and the pictures, but that doesn't make sense. Still, I can't help -"