Chapter 4

We were currently seated in my mother's apartment, my dad was gulping whisky vigorously . I had to refrain myself from throwing his bottle away. My mother sat in her usual love seat while looking down at her laced fingers in concentration. She avoided looking at dad whose eyes were red from stress . His tie was undone and his white shirt was crumpled he looked disastrous. Tears rolled down my cheek seeing him lose his mind.

"He cornered us, a word is sent around that If they help Parker Enterprises they will make an enemy of Mr. Rodriguez. Bad, this is so fucking bad!" He takes another gulp shaking his head in defeat.

My mother didn't take the news positively, she surely heard how infamous Mr. Rodriguez and his ways are and is definitely not in to send her only daughter as  bait. I never expected this, heck I still feel I'm not in my senses. This surely cannot happen, Mr. Rodriguez a man so widely feared cannot ask my hand in marriage. Marriage is so precious and intimate, its definitely not a  joke. I cannot afford to marry him. Marry some  one who will make my life a living nightmare. It is simply impossible.

" he isn't going to let this matter go Frank, Its an instinct, I am really scared about" My dad runs his hands over his face and pinches his forehead in desperation. My mothers words slice me alive..

"I.. Dad" my dad for the first time looks up and meets my gaze. I see how effected he was about the whole incident. His eyes played a continuous emotion of shame. I wanted to give him my bear hug which erases all of his problems, its a hug for reassurance. It like a promise, a promise to all ways be there for him no matter what but am I backing from my promise? Maybe.. Just maybe dad needed my acceptance for this marriage..

"He is a clever brat Sugar! A clever one" I walk towards him and engulf myself in his warmth. My tears soaked his shirt while he patted my head lovingly. I look at my mother who was busy frowning, tears decorated her face too. She definitely didn't like seeing her family upset. I for all hated it..

"Don't lose hope dad, its going to okay" I coo him, resting my head in his shoulder.

"I cannot.." Dad's words come out in a muffled tone. I look at my mom who was looking at my dad with concern

If only things were different

"You should probably rest, its late" My eyes find their way to the wall clock noting that it was 1:00 Am now. I shake my head and bend forward so that I meet his eyes. They were distant. I couldn't bear to see my dad like this, so utterly helpless and sad. My mother hands we a glass of water and  I immediately take a sip. I rest my hands on my thighs and observe that my father was slowly slipping into sleep. I had to get him to bed. I urge my mother to help which she accepts and together we take him towards a spare bedroom parallel to kitchen. I tuck him to and gently remove his shoes. I switch off the lights and gently close the door. My mother makes her way to the kitchen and my steps fall into her accord. I sit on the counter and tiredly run my hands over my face. This is such a mess.

"He cannot be so informal honey, he is dragging is into his personal problems which is not right"

"Yes mom it's completely unfair and the worst part is we can't do anything about it. Power and money rules the world mom and that man aced it"

"Why can't he find someone else!surely you aren't the only one"

"I am the only one  who can be tailored to his interests mom "
I spit those words out. It was hard, it is so very hard. My mother walks up to me and rests her chin on my shoulder I try not to cry my heart out, lean on her and make my every problem vanish. If only it was possible.

"Find an escape darling before its too late" I nod at her, I have to.

"You should probably rest mom, you have to go to hospital tomorrow" She pecks me and leaves  me alone. I grab a jug of water and head to my room. I keep it on my study table and change into my night gown. I absentmindedly brush my teeth and complete my business. I have never seen dad so.. Upset about any of the business matters. He was always the strong one. I cannot afford to have my dad's happiness crumbled. He wanted to have a deal with Mr Rodriguez, and I wanted it to happen.

And I was hell bent on making it happen no matter the costs and in that moment I made a decision to meet Mr. Rodriguez. I'll meet him tomorrow and sort the mess out myself.

Its high time I push aside my fears and step in.

*****

I didn't catch much sleep last night. I was worried sick about the meeting that is scheduled for today. I contacted Summer yesterday night and shared my concerns with her. She was quite responsive and sensitive too. She was utterly furious with Mr. Rodriguez for proposing such an outrageous idea. Yesterday's dinner was quite a disaster. He just walked away after he uttered those words. None from our little tribe understood the meaning of that action. He was a weird man but that one sentence had me shivering. Mom was right his problems were his alone, it was completely unacceptable that he dragged us into his mess. Honestly all I cared about was my father and his health. Both of which are at stake because of his stupid, incorrigible idea.

Summer and I decided to meet him today, we don't have an official appointment. Summer said that she will manage and I trusted her ability completely. I close my eyes trying my best not to think about how he looked. He looked like a complete sin, his attitude the way he mastered the art of staring had me completely consumed. He was truly surreal so darkly handsome that I had myself sweating under his watchful gaze whole the time. He was really infamous and fortunate. His contacts, his style of living and his colored tell tales had people petrified of him. He never did interviews, never  attended esteemed parties nor featured in magazines he just built a life away from this world yet so into it. He was widely feared and his name was enough to make people have second thoughts. I really never cared much about him because it was simple why bother with some one you never in a million years will meet and the irony he asked my hand. Marriage might just be a deal for him, not for me.. It was sacred and special and he had no right stealing that away. I decide to settle for a simple shirts with black Polka dots and skin tight jeans. I had to go to college too and after we meet him, hopefully we will  I will straight away head to my University. I know it's going to be stressful with my dad's problems and my academical concerns but I had no option. They both are my topmost priorities and I want to compromise in neither. I called Abby and informed her about my delay, sure it was real tough when she kept on pestering me to answer her thousand and one questions while I was running late I promised her to answer all of her queries later which she quietly reluctantly agreed. I push all of my books, stationery and other necessities inside my handbag and pack my laptop and phone back up. I shove it k side rather in elegantly but I was running out of time. I promised Summer I will be in front of Rodriguez & cars a franchise here in Seattle at exactly 9:00 and  it was already 8:40 now. When I find my things fit in perfectly inside the bag I zip it up and grab my car keys.

My car is an old piece of junk, but I loved it anyway. Sure I had problems but it was my baby at the end of the day. I run downstairs and find both my parents enjoying a peaceful morning. I was startled. I never in a million years thought that my dad would be cooking, he was a worst cook and after his first attempt on my parents sixteenth anniversary, he officially vowed never to step inside kitchen. My mom was reading her newspaper enjoying a steamy coffee. They were silent, they didn't utter a word to each other but the comfort they shared was palpable. I smiled, my mood instantly bloomed. I clear my throat and head down.

They notice my presence and they give me a warm smile. I look at my father who was all dressed up and proper like yesterday never happened but he looked somehow older, his wrinkles were Shinning and in complete display while my mother had dark circles underneath. I head down and kiss their cheeks.

"Take care mom, dad. I'll be home early"

"Have your breakfast Sugar" I animatedly gesture a No.

"I'll grab something" I head closer to him and whisper

"Be positive dad every thing will work out" He gives me a smile and a determined nod and with that I head out.