0 9 | g u e s s e s

How He Fell has made it to the second stage of voting for the Readers Choice Awards 2020. Please please please go vote for the book and show some love! I beg you!

Song of the chapter: In the End by Mark Diamond

☙❦❧

EVELYN stated out the little window of her small room, she watched the night bask in its silence. So quiet, it felt peaceful yet dull.

Looking down, she stroked the leather of the bound journal that sat on her lap.

These days, that journal was the only thing keeping her going.

It was her grandmother's journal.

The first time Evelyn was punished, she was forbidden from leaving the house all weekend.

She was forbidden from even leaving her room.

But she couldn't stay cooped up in there all day, she was terrified of losing her mind. So she did what she had to do.

She managed to sneak out of the room.

And she found a modest sized library in the mansion. Upon entrance, she coughed from the excess of dust surrounding the place.

The place was beautiful, filled with book after book.

Roaming around, Evelyn found a shelf filled with journals which held her grandmother's words.

Her grandmother's tragic life.

It held a special place in Evelyn's heart. It made her feel like she was close to someone. Close to some kind of family, no matter that her grandmother was dead.

Opening the 7th journal in the 'series', she continued reading.

5th July 1975,

He struck me once again.

I do not understand. If he loves me...why does he cause me pain?

I thought we were past that.

The lies.

For so long, he cheated and laughed in my face as tears fell down my cheeks.

And finally, he let me in. He stopped with that other girl. He let me love him and I was finally worthy of his love.

The happiness I felt was beyond anything ever before. But it was short-lived.

I still cried, even though he started holding me when we slept. He no longer stayed in another room or on the opposite side of the bed. He wrapped his arm around me, brought me closer, snuggled his head in the crook of my neck. He kissed my jawline, whispered "sweet dreams" and fell into a deep slumber.