Chapter 32

Thank you for keeping up with me, everyone! I love and respect all of you. (:

___________________________________________________________________

 "-and basically, we ended up living off Cain and his mother and brother."

 I winced, hating how I was pretty much mooching off them, like a useless girlfriend. 

"And you're telling me that you need me to take care of Casey until you're 18?" My mother questioned, her tone serious and contemplating.

"I.. yes. As much as I hate to say it." I admitted.

I heard the soft tinkling of laughter through the receiver. I smiled at the dainty sound, wondering how I missed on an entire childhood of hearing the noise. 

 "Have you talked to Casey about this?" My mother questioned. I let out a large sigh and rubbed my temples. 

 "Not exactly. But, I was planning on it."

"When do you want her here?"

"By the end of the month."  It was only the 5th of October, I had plenty of time to get her situated.

"Alright. I'll wire the money for the ticket through my bank account into your father's. I assume you know his codes?" She asked, sounding so sure and motherly I had to take a moment before answering.

 "Yes. Not that he knows that. I'll also gather all her paperwork back at our house. I'll send it with her, so she can finish school up there."

 We spoke a bit more, before hanging up. I frowned and placed the phone next to me on Cain's bed,  grabbing his hand and squeezing it tight. I looked up into his evergreen eyes and gave a faint smile.

 "Is it alright that you aren't telling Casey about this?" He asked, treading lightly on stormy waters.

"That's what I'm about to do." I replied, rising from his bed.

She will no longer be a victim.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Casey?" I called out softly, as my foot touched the last step on the stairs.  

"In here!" She called back, her voice resonating from Jake's room.  I followed the sound and pushed his door open, seeing them both sitting on his bed watching a movie. 

 "I need to talk to you."

Casey's eyes widened a small amount at my tone, but she rose and followed me down the stairs and out the back door. I sat on the stairs to the deck, Casey sat next to me- the warmth of her body heating my left side.

 I looked out to see the sun dipping below the horizon, tinting everything a soft orange color.

"What is it, Kat?" My precious sister asked.

So precious.

So innocent.

I would no longer allow her to be defiled by the hands of a terrible man. Without a second thought I launched into my story.

 How I called grandma, learned of mom's secret, called mom and I eventually came to the hard part.  

 "Casey, I can't have you around here anymore.. it's too dangerous.  I need you to go live with mom in Tennessee." 

 There was a silence. It was a tense silence. The kind that wraps around your entire being, squeezing you tightly until you can't breathe. Then-

"No." Casey said, her gray eyes even with mine.

 I nearly gasped in shock.

"Casey, it's not up for discussion." I insisted, watching her get up and head back towards the Masters' home.

 "Neither is my answer."  She replied, slamming the door in my face as I scrambled to grab her.

Oh, hell no.

I threw the door open and slammed it behind me, startling Casey from where she stood a few feet away.

 "Young lady, don't you dare slam a door in my face! I'm doing this to help you!" I shouted at her back as she faced away from me. At this, however, she whirled around in anger.

 "NO! I'm not leaving! I can handle myself, Katerina!"

I felt the tendons in my neck tighten at my full name. My rage bubbled up at the one person I risked everything for.

 "YOU'RE JUST A CHILD, CASEY! You need to go where it's safe! I'm not doing this to be mean, I'm protecting you!"

 "NO! YOU'RE NOT! YOU'RE BEING CONTROLLING. JUST LIKE...LIKE... DAD!"

I felt my fighting spirit crack, fear and absolute despair filling all the tiny crevices. Casey stood before me, still as could be, her chest heaving and cheeks pink.

 I felt Cain's presence near the open hallway, a few feet away. It didn't do much to calm me this time, I knew he heard the entire argument. 

 "I can't even believe you just said that." I replied, my voice cracking. I watched as Casey's hackles dropped down and her fists unclenched.

 "No, Kat, I didn't-"

I put my hand up to stop her, my expression was that of a broken horse facing a gun, knowing it was about to be killed because it could preform no longer.

  "I apologize for the inconvenience. Be prepared to leave by the end of the month."

With that, I turned on my heel and looked to Cain, whose face was etched with a hint of anger, but mostly worry.

 I walked calmly toward the white room, feeling my heart swell with the ache of a low blow.

Was I really like him?