TEN

CHAPTER TEN
( WHITE HAIR, PISSED PARENTS )

"CAN I REPEAT MY earlier statement of thinking that Nick has a death wish?"

"He only dyed his hair."

"Correction, I dyed his hair."

Friday went smoothly. Peter seemed less anxious about how Nick had been acting the day before and for that, Nick was grateful. During lunch they talked a bit about the project until their separate groups of friends took them away to eat. Presenting the project went well. Their teacher loved that they went to Dr. Connors about cell regeneration, earning them a couple bonus points each. A few other students had done the same thing, found a professional about their topic and ended up getting bonus points. Nick then had soccer practice. His ankle was slowly getting better, but he still couldn't run around as much, so he sat out during practice about half of the time.

James had been the one to pick the boys up from soccer practice and Anita from volleyball practice, the four of them wanting to hang out together. During their drive, James had learned that Nick didn't flunk the presentation and shouted that it deserved a celebration. Apparently, James' celebrations involved hair dying, a bunch of snacks and drinks, and a Disney movie playing in the background. Once stopping at the store for everything they needed, everyone agreed to go to Anita's place since her parents were on a trip for the weekend.

There, James did the task of bleaching, dying, and whatever the hell else he did to Nick's hair to make it turn white except for the roots. The three best friends didn't exactly know all of the products he used or what exactly he did; all they knew was that they trusted him and placed Nick's hair's fate in James' hands. He's done it before to a few other people and dyed in his hair black not too long ago. Hours passed by and eventually James was done. Three movies have been finished and the entirety of their snacks and drinks were gone.

James threw an arm around Nick's shoulders with a happy grin. The two of them plus Anita and Marty were huddled in the small bathroom. "I quite like it," James stated proudly. "What d'you think, Jolly Nick?"

Nick stared at himself. More accurately, his now white hair. After a second, he smiled and patted his friend on the back. "I like it, thanks, man," he said.

The older boy's grin widened as Anita spoke up, "Me too. Great job, Rogers." The two then high fived before she asked, "How's that twin of yours? You haven't talked about him yet."

Nick and James met eyes through the mirror. The younger teen knew from yesterday's hang out that twins weren't on good terms; currently in the middle of a fight, James and Mitch were giving each other the silent treatment until further notice. Nick doesn't know all about their fight, just that they are in the middle of one and he knew better than to pry about why. All he knew was that the fight had something to do with why Mitch wasn't staying with Nick's uncle like James.