1 | to live is to try

'So plant your own gardens and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.'  

— Jorge Luis Borges 

DAYS KIND OF MELTED into each other during the middle months when you were a student. Everyone buckled down on their studies in the libraries or on the campus. Though no one went outside much since the weather was always so dismal.

Ri preferred to study during class breaks and use the evening to just relax. She liked taking a long shower and writing a bit. There was a novel idea that she was developing and making mood boards didn't take up too much mental energy, so she made herself a cup of tea and settled down to scroll on pinterest for ages.

Class was about to start and students were beginning to file in with folders and notepads. Then Issac barged in, using his immense height to push his way through everyone and come to stand right in the middle of the room.

"Guys, big news," he hissed, leaning forward. His grey eyes were wide and practically sparkling with excitement, "There's going to be an internship opening at LuNa-"

The hushed conversation in the classroom quickly escalated into a disbelieving racket.

"You're joking, when?!"

"Who told you?"

"How many openings? Is it just for Harrows or...?"

Issac answered rapid-fire questions with the experienced ease of a habitual gossiper and eventually settled back into his chair, looking satisfied with himself.

Just by listening in, Ri had figured out almost everything - LuNa Industries was opening its doors to talented students all over England, the only requirement was passing an entrance exam and getting called in for an interview. There were only twenty openings available and the competition was going to be brutal.

"Are you going to enter?" Pepper rested her chin on her palm and gave Ri a small smile. It was still too early and both girls had steaming cups of coffee cradled in their hands. Pepper closed her eyes and leaned into Ri's shoulder, "You should, you know. I think you'll make it."

Ri smiled and felt this soft, glowing warmth spread through her, "yeah, I think I might." Pepper looked tired. She shuffled through her papers with a small smile on her lips. She was usually louder and brighter after she'd properly woken up. There was a sleepy comfort that had encompassed them that made Ri feel like she could take on everything.

"It's going to be hard, that entrance exam sounds like no joke." Pepper straightened up and took a slow sip of her coffee. The whole classroom smelled like caffeine and old books. The large arc windows showed off the impressive fog swirling around the campus.

"Yeah, I'll have to ask-"

"Good morning, guys." Professor Hart walked in, cutting Ri off. "I hope you managed last week's assignment well because that's what we're going to cover today," she made her way to the blackboard with a thick file and started the lesson.

Ri bit her lip and let her mind wander as much as the lesson allowed. Her skin prickled strangely whenever she thought about the internship. She knew she would eventually fall in love with the idea, even with the possible rejection looming over her head.

She could change her mind and save herself from the hefty workload and the hurt. But that would leave her with another 'what if'. She'd end up overthinking all the different ways her life could've gone, if only she'd taken the risk.

Besides, what was a painful rejection compared to years of regret?

"- if there's anyone who'd like to register themselves for the internship opening, please pick up a form from my office after class and fill it in. Hand it in to me tomorrow," Professor Hart said. "Now, Roman, let's start with your assignment-"

For a split second, Roman looked like a deer caught in the headlights. But he eventually fished out his papers and Ri shifted her focus onto more important things.

"Minhyuk will probably apply," Pepper murmured. "Or his dad'll force him to."

Ri shrugged, "I don't care."

"I know you don't," Pepper huffed through her nose, then she paused for a second and said, "I'm not going to apply."

Ri frowned in surprise, "why? I thought you wanted to."

"I'm going to focus on what I have on my plate right now. Robotics is no joke and I want to give it my all." Pepper shrugged, "I mean, it's a great opportunity but LuNa is a security company-"

"They're an international cyber-security organization," Ri recited, trying to keep her voice down to avoid getting caught by their professor. "They protect the online privacy of every elite member of society."

"Meh, I don't care about some billionaire shithead's search history and even less about protecting it," Pepper said. "I care about robots and when that kind of internship comes up, you know I'll be the first handing in my application," there was a clear determination in Pepper's voice that made Ri feel like she'd reach her goals with or without outside help.

Ri, on the other hand, appreciated a bit of support. Being autistic was tiring enough by itself, she didn't need the added fatigue that came from burning herself out. Ri dreamt of a quiet life. She wanted to move out of Harrow's Institute, out of it's care system and it's too-loud halls, and get as far away as she could from any reminder of her past.

A job at LuNa would be the icing on the cake. She could easily support herself with that kind of income. Homelessness would stop being a fear that haunted her and she'd be able to do so much with her life.

Starting afresh seemed like a second chance at life and Ri didn't want to mess it up for herself.