37. Too Late

I rang Nik and told him to go on without me, that I would see him later. At first he wanted to wait but I convinced him I would be ok.

The three of us made our way to the food court and I ordered two milkshakes and a coffee.

"You really love your coffee, don't you?" Caroline asked me, one eyebrow raised.

"God yes," I replied, "Ever since my first year of college. Exams were a very stressful time."

They both smiled at me. "So, you had a lot of bags when we met you. But anything nice?" Elena's voice was quiet as she asked. I looked at her for a second before answering. There was some-thing wrong with her. But I shrugged it off. Of course there was some-thing wrong with her, she's a vampire because of me.

"Yeah, I decided I needed a whole new wardrobe, books and a new laptop. I actually bought this one dress you would love...." my voice trailed off as I noticed Elena kept checking the time. Caroline seeped oblivious to it, she just smiled at me.

"You and Klaus, when we met you... you were both laughing, you looked... happy. It's been so long since I've seen you like that, and I've never seen him like that at all. Usually he's laughing in an evil way."

I looked down at my hands, "I am happy Caroline. I can't explain and I don't expect anyone to understand it, but I love him."

Both girls went quiet for a moment, then Caroline's expression grew serious. "You're right, I don't really understand it. But then I don't have to. I just want you to be happy... and if that means being with Klaus, well then, so be it."

I stared at her speechless. It was more than I had hoped for. I blinked back tears before lunging over the table and wrapping my arms around my best friend, surprising her and causing her to laugh. We parted and just as I sat back down Elena spoke up, her face angry.

"Well I don't understand it. After all he's done to us... and you expect us to just be ok with it?" she spat the words at me. I kept my voice calm as I answered her.

"You mean the way you expected me to be friends with Damon? He murdered both my parents and me. But for you I was willing to move past it. I get that what I did to you was horrible, but I had no emotions at the time. What the fuck was his excuse again? Now I don't expect you to be drinking buddies with Nik, all I'm asking is for is the same understanding that you expect from me."

"Please... Jenni, Elena..." Caroline's distressed voice broke in but Elena was having none of it. "We will never understand it Jennifer. I had hoped that after this we might be able to be friends again, but can see now that won't be the case."

Both Caroline and I wore confused expressions. "After what?" I asked.

She stood up to leave. "It's the only way. I hope you can see that some day. But he has to be stopped." With that she turned to leave but I grabbed her arm, causing her to drop her bag, it's contents spilling over the ground.

"What are you talking about Elena?" I demanded.

She pulled out of my grasp and bent to pick up her stuff, ignoring me. I started to ask again when my eyes were drawn to one of the items on the ground. A Cell phone.

Rebekah's pink cell phone, the one I gave her.

I picked it up, "Why do you have this? Where's 'Bekah?"

Elena stared at me for a second then took off. I turned to Caroline for answers but she looked as confused as I was.

Something was very wrong. I had felt it earlier but ignored it. Now, as I dialled Nik's number, I got a sick feeling in my stomach. Nik's phone rang out and not caring who saw me I used every ounce of my vampire speed. I had to get home to Nik.

It was moments later when I reached the mansion. I pulled the front door open and started calling Nik's name when I heard noises coming from his studio. I ran in but stopped short at the sight that greeted me.

The room was all but destroyed and Nik was against the back wall. Damon and Stefan were either side of him holding him in place while Tyler stood in front of him.

At first it looked like Tyler had his hand placed on Nik's chest but quickly I realised that his fingertips were actually inside Nik's chest. Nik's skin was turning grey... they were desiccating him. I had heard of this spell. They were desiccating his body, trapping his mind inside a lifeless tomb.

I screamed... a scream filled with anguish and rage, and started forward to kill Tyler when I felt a stake slide into my back.

I fell to my knees, the pain radiating throughout my body. Elena stood behind me and put one hand on my chin and her other at the back of my head.

 I looked to Nik, his eyes met mine and a single tear rolled down his cheek. I mouthed one word to him, "Sorry!" and then there was nothing as Elena snapped my neck.