Chapter Four "Percival"

I tried to clear my mind from all of this worry and just strolled the garden paths as it grew dark. When I reached the back way where the gardens turned into the stretch of lawn before leading to the woods, I knew it was time to turn back. Perhaps I could just sneak in and go straight to my room. The thought of a quiet evening to myself refreshed me but it was soon dashed as I saw a lantern moving towards me, "Was it really so bad that you had to come find me?" I called to my brother as I made my way in his direction, "Could you not leave me to my own diversions for one night, Freddie?"

            "The room became vastly disappointing after you left," the voice travelled in the night, "but I am not Freddie."

            I stopped immediately and peered into the darkness, "Oh?" I asked realizing that my manners were not guarded as they should be, especially with visitors.

            "No need to be afraid, Miss Woodbridge," the light illuminated that handsome face I saw not more than a few hours ago, "It's just me." Percival was smiling and if it were possible, he looked even more striking by the warm lighting from the lantern.

            "I was not afraid, Mr. Stanhope, but it is proper for you to announce yourself, is it not?" I picked up my pace to walk past him and head towards the nearest entrance but he caught my arm.

            "I apologize if I startled you, Miss Woodbridge," he said carefully enunciating my name, "but you were sorely missed." He took my hand and wrapped it around his arm, "It is proper for a young lady to take a gentleman's arm if it is offered, is it not?" I could tell by a quick side glance that he was gloating a bit. We walked a few moments in silence before he leaned a bit closer, "I would love to know about your personal diversions...Margaret." My eyes opened wide in surprise as I turned to him.

            "Oh there you are!" Freddie's voice rang out in the night air as he called from the library balcony, "I was beginning to think that we lost you entirely!" I could feel the warmth rise in my cheeks as my eldest brother waved down to us, "What are you doing out here?"

            "After all of that brandy I thought I could use some fresh air," Percival laughed as he let me up the stairs first, "thankfully your sister was already strolling and kept me from getting lost." I said nothing as I slipped past Freddie and went to stand by the fireplace to warm myself.

            "That must have been very lucky for you, eh Percival?" I did not dare turn to look but I'm sure there was some sort of ribbing as if they were both privy to a secret...a secret that somehow involved me. After a brief moment Freddie spoke up, "Well now that I have found you I shall return to my wife and let her know that her brother is just relaxing in the library." As he walked past I caught his eye and in usual Freddie custom, he smiled and gave me a wink as he left the room.

            I swiftly started to follow him but Freddie stopped just out of the door, "Why don't you stay and keep Percival company, I'm sure neither of you would care to be part of the conversation in the parlor..."

            "But Freddie," I protested quietly.

            "Fear not, dear sister, I will return shortly," he kissed my forehead, "for I don't wish to be included in that conversation either," he grinned and made his way down the hall.

            "Is there a reason that you flee when you're in my company, Miss Woodbridge?" Percival asked as he took a seat beside the fire.

            "Flee?" I tried to sound amused, "You think highly of yourself..."

            "For the third time this evening, to be exact," he traced his finger over the arm of the chair, "you have tried to escape. Is my companionship so tedious?"

            I turned towards him, he was just sitting in the chair, facing the fire. "Perhaps I should apologize, Mr. Stanhope but I have never been comfortable with new guests. It always takes a few visits before I am at ease."

            "I am hardly a new acquaintance," he looked up, puzzled, "you yourself said that we have even danced together." I could tell there was some amusement hiding behind his features and calm started to roll over me. I gave him a nod and walked towards the fireplace again, "Come, let us talk. I promise that I will do my best not to give you cause to run."

            "I will stay and talk only if you promise not to bring up our dancing again," I took the chair opposite of him.

            "But Miss Woodbridge," he smiled.

            "Mr. Stanhope, I was just twelve and you performed a courtesy at my brother's wedding. For that I thank you but I do hope we can move past it."

            "Very well. Perhaps one day you will dance with me again and we will make a new memory," he smiled towards the burning embers of the fire before turning back to me, "so tell me, how eager are you to see London?"

            "Not at all," I sighed smoothing out my dress and trying not to look like I was seeking a distraction.

            "Oh come now, it will be your first Season," he chuckled edging his seat towards me, "I'm sure there are many delights awaiting you."

            "Such as?" I looked at him seriously yet doubting he could think of anything enticing.

            "Knowing my sister, the first thing will be to outfit you to her liking..."

            "I imagine so, yet her fashion is not mine," I interrupted.

            "You can try to compromise..." he trailed off and looked at me, "or maybe not, we are talking about Patience," he laughed. I was coming to enjoy the sound of his laughter and immediately joined him. "So you're not going to be looking forward to any of the boutiques or the habadashery."

            "Well, I might like to see what they have but I wouldn't call it excitement," I was trying not to stare too much so I set to catalog the books behind him in my head.

            "Hmm," he was looking me over thoughtfully, "most young ladies are looking forward to balls and social aspects," he must have noted the slight shake of my head, "but you are not. Not even the prospects of a fine young man?"

            "I have been surrounded by fine young men," I started and was suddenly worried that he thought I was referring to him, "but there is no man that can compare to my brothers."

            "Your brothers are fine indeed, but all of them are married now...what about your future, Margaret?"

            I caught my breath when he said my name again, "I would not mind if I could see the sights..." I said as I straightened up and changed the subject as best I could.

            Percival's gaze changed as he blinked and sat back in his chair, "there are many splendid places to see in London, that is true."

            "There is one prominent impasse in that idea though..." I looked down at my hands, fiddling with the edge of my sash.

            "Yes, I don't see Patience doing much sightseeing," he pondered to himself a moment, "perhaps you can sneak out...in a large carpetbag possibly?" he said holding out his arms as if sizing up a suitable parcel. We erupted in laughter, louder than what would be acceptable in Patience's company, and I wondered how a brother and a sister could be so different.