Chapter 40

"I can't believe it, I really can't," sighs Jane, hours later in our bedroom as we reflect on her reunion with Charles.

"Go on," I smile, encouraging her. "I want to know all of the details."

She nods, her face turning slightly pink with happiness and shyness.

"Firstly, he outright told me that he loved me and..."

"Heard that part," I smirk, causing her to laugh and give me a gentle shove.

"Well, continuing on from what you didn't hear as we went into the kitchen, we may have kissed. A lot."

"Ahhh, I'm so happy for you!" I squeal, ignoring the pang of jealously rising within me.

"It was so romantic, I can't believe this is actually happening to me," she sighs. "Especially since I never thought things would turn out this way for us."

"What else did he say about why he broke up with you before?" I ask.

"He kept apologising, and said that his sister and his friend William believe it or not influenced him to do so and he wrongly took their advice. Even though I agree obviously that it wasn't the right way to handle things, I can't really blame him as I came across as very reserved and he was probably scared off by mum and the girls. But at least now he's come to his senses."

I look proudly at Jane as she speaks, for she seems to finally feel fully comfortable in her own skin and appears savvy and strong.

"He will be moving back here in a few days," she continues. "I love him so much, can you die of happiness?" She exclaims, glowing with joy.

"Yes," I beam at her, "As mum rightly proved to us earlier whenever she found out."

"Oh my, that definitely cheered her up after a difficult few months," she laughs.

"I think I'm still half deaf from her reaction," I agree. "But it was great to watch."

"I know, if only I could see you so happy," she says suddenly.

"If only," I reply, failing to meet her gaze. "But I doubt it, I'll probably never marry and be a great aunt instead," I humorously insist.

"You can't be serious, don't you begin to doubt yourself now," she looks at me warily.

"Just being realistic I'm afraid," my heart sinking as I turn away to climb up to my bunk. I offer a lame excuse about getting an early night, leaving Jane confused and without an explanation.

*The next day*

It is the afternoon, and I have spent the majority of the day with Charlotte out shopping. My emotions are still running high from not confiding in Jane last night, and I am eager to go home and spend some time alone.

"So, are you coming back to mine?" Charlotte asks as we exit the bus, standing beside me on the pavement.

"No, I'm tired and need to go home to my bed," I lie.

"You can rest in my room and have an energy drink," she laughs, trying to reason with me to no avail. "Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" She then enquirers, concerned.

I fail to answer, as she continues, "I thought it was because of Lydia before, but now that she is doing well, there must be something else that your hiding. Please tell me, I'll support you no matter what."

"I'm fine, really...well, no I'm not, something is upsetting me but there's nothing I can do so I'm better forgetting about it. I'll see you tomorrow." I feel terrible for not being honest with her, but I've kept everything hidden for so long, and can't face bringing it all up.

"Eliza..."

I hear her calling after me but I begin to quickly walk away from her, tears burning my eyes. My heart is beating so fast and is filled with pain as I let my grief consume me, which I can't bring myself to release. I don't know how much longer I can cope like this.

I turn a corner and notice a large fancy car ahead of me, which I try to hurry past due to my apparent upset. I think nothing of hearing the car door open and close, until I recognise the sound of the persons dreaded voice calling out to me.

"Not too fast young lady."

I spin around in shock and am filled with fear as I am faced with a furious Lady Catherine, sending an icy chill down my spine.

A/N: I can't believe I'm on 36k and Chapter 40😮 Thank you all💕💕💕