XXXII

RAIN POUNDED AGAINST THE HILTON INN'S glass in the chilly 7:30 evening. Takashi sat on the hotel's small love seat couch, in the dark. It's where he's been since six in the morning as soon as he showered and brushed his teeth. It was his first movement from the bed in days. He still wore the same deadpan expression, being motionless and staring at nothingness.

Not even Toryn's confession of regaining her memory had garnered a reaction out of him. She had delivered the message to him through voicemails and text messages days ago. It partially made him feel good, but it didn't last long. He couldn't sleep, eat or function. He had no clue what time it was, what day it was or what was going on around him. He felt weak both physically and mentally.

His phone started buzzing on the bed and he glanced at it. He tried to keep himself occupied with happy thoughts because sometimes he would hear his mother's voice. Especially when he closed his eyes. It was the most cruelest thing his mind was doing to him. So he fought sleep and always tried to keep himself busy.

He got up and walked over to the bed. He picked the phone up, dressed in only black sweatpants that began to sag a little due to the couple of pounds he'd lost during his two week stay. He saw ten new text messages and five new voicemails from today alone. Not feeling like reading anything, he opted to listen to the voicemails only.

The automated female voice machine came on, "New voicemail...today at eleven thirty two AM..." after a beep, the sound of a sniffling Braelyn came on. "Um...hi honey, it's Braelyn. I'm not calling to be annoying I'm just really worried about you. I hope you're okay, Bri asks for you everyday. I miss you and I wish you would just come home. I just want you to know I'm here for you, I love you."

The message finished as a new one came on. It started with a little static in the back and weird noises as if the person was fumbling with the phone. Takashi walked over to the hotel bedroom window, using his index and middle fingers to push the blinds apart. He peeked outside just in time to see lightening turn the world silver for a moment.

"New voicemail...today at six o' clock PM...Hey Takashi this is Tyrell...uh...bro, don't be pissed. I messed up but I spoke to your wife today... and she broke me. I told her where you are. I know, I'm sorry, but she was so distraught. The crying got to me, man. I'm sorry, don't be mad."

Takashi sucked his teeth violently, glaring at the phone as if it was Tyrell himself. The voicemail was left over an hour and a half ago, which meant Braelyn got the drop some time ago. But it would still take some time for her to get out here, which Takashi hoped she wouldn't.

Just as he was about to play another message there was a knock on his room door. He knew it obviously wasn't Braelyn. He figured it was room service. Every time they came he sent them away. The last three days they were coming frequently however, knocking more than two or three times a day sometimes. He figured the staff were beginning to think he was into some shady business and was getting suspicious of the man who never came out of his room.