Eleven

A.N. Two updates in the same month, LET'S GO!

-------------------

I figured we were going to be on the jet for a while so I took this opportunity to sit and talk with Bucky. The first time I've had the chance to since he 'died'.

I informed Bucky on as much as these past 70 years as I could, letting him know what he missed. Didn't need to tell him much as apparently he had researched me as soon as he remembered my name. He kept every article and every story about me so he couldn't forget. Bucky never ceases to amaze me.

I told him about me and Steve and how we're engaged at this moment in time. But, as I said before; he researched us, so he knew it all already. Kinda ruined the moment of us telling him ourselves.

Back in the 40's, Bucky knew of Steve's crush on me; Steve informed me of that. He never knew of my crush on Steve though. Maybe he saw little bits here and there but I never told him. I never got to. He died before he could bug me about it.

My heart hurt as I talked about Peggy to him. How she did without him and the many things her sons have got up to lately. What shocked me was how he said he was there. At her funeral. But he just stood outside and watched as I laughed at something with Fred. Or George he didn't know which one and I didn't either.

I moved onto Howard and what happened to him and Maria. He seemed sad as I told him what killed them. Well, more like who killed them. He put his head down, he had to kill people without any say in what they had him do. I still don't know everything on what happened to him. After this, I intend to find out.

I was interrupted as the phone rang in the jet. I excused myself from Bucky and rushed to the phone. I knew it was Tony.

"Any news? Is he alive? What did Stephen say?" I rushed out, wanting to know everything as soon as I could.

"Yeah he's alive." Tony's voice sounded deep and rough. He had been crying a lot and his mouth was dry. I wish I could teleport and hug him right now but I couldn't. "They say he's paralysed from the waist down." When he said those words, my heart dropped. I sighed and placed my free hand over my face. Rhodey did not deserve any of this.

"Did Stephen say anything else?" I asked, sure that Stephen would have given a bit more. He usually doesn't give all the information away, but with me he does.

"Ash, your friend was in car accident a few days ago. He's alive but they say he might not be able to use his hands anymore. We had another doctor who your friend advised to have in his place if he ever was unavailable." I rubbed my eyes and leaned on the wall of the jet. Stephen had saved my life on many occasions, including the time when The Winter Soldier shot me. Losing him was like a punch in my face. "I'm sorry about your friend."

"I'm sorry about ours." I said. I heard Tony sigh heavily.

"S'not your fault. And it's okay you're with them. You need to see for yourself, I get it. But, you have to promise me Ash, if he's lying and it was him, he HAS to come in." I myself sighed heavily.

"Yeah I know. I hope he's telling the truth and we can prove it."

"For your sake, me too. I'll keep you posted on Rhodes. Do what you have to do." Tony said, hanging up once he was finished. I sighed once more before putting the phone down. My world seems to be falling around me. Rhodey paralysed, Stephen probably paralysed too. This world is never easy or nice.

"How's Rhodey?" I heard a voice behind me, making me jump. I turned and saw Steve, Bucky was stood in the background. The jet was obviously in auto.

"Alive, but he's paralysed from the waist down." Steve sighed, hopefully feeling the weight of what he kinda cause.

I don't wanna fully blame Steve for what happened, it doesn't feel good. But he has to answer for some of it. He made a decision, we had to face the consequences of that decision and Rhodey paid with his legs. If we weren't at the airport, Rhodey would be fine.