Chapter Ten: I'm Going Home

The sounds.

The words.

The tears.

It kept coming back to me. I kept reliving it as an attempt of what I could have done better. What I could have done at all. But in the back of my mind, this voice keeps telling me how nothing would have worked, she wouldn't have wanted anything from me. It wouldn't let me have a moment of peace. And it was because I deserved it.

"Naomi?"

"Yes," I said, Declan's voice pulling me away from my thoughts and back to the common room of the base.

He gave me a concerned look, his hand on my shoulder probably from shaking me to pay attention. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Are you sure?" Declan pressed. "You keep spacing out."

"Was it something that Brennan did?" Bennett asked me. "She can be traumatizing. Believe me..."

I let out a forced laugh. "No, of course not."

I couldn't say anything, I had no right to. I had to be conscious of how people perceive me when I kept thinking about it. Brennan noticed it the moment I stepped into the car, but allowed the ride back home to become silent. Now the guys notice that I'm acting differently. I need to stop it.

"You don't know how long we were out looking for the two of you," Bennett told me.

"And you even turned off your location setting from the Trace Ace App," Jordan said, shaking his head. "How could you?"

"Sorry Jordan, I'll be sure not to do it again until the next girl's night out."

Jordan fell back onto the couch, clutching his heart, having been shot by the betrayal.

"You even dragged Lynn into you and Brennan's adventure," Declan said. "Anyway, how was she?"

"She's fine," I said curtly but when realizing that it wasn't a good response, I added, "She baked cookies and we watched a movie."

Bennett opened his mouth to say something.

"Pre-made from the store."

Bennett closed his mouth to no longer say something.

"Should you guys tell her now?" Jordan asked the others.

"Tell me what?"

Declan scratched the back of his head. "Bennett and I are going to have a three-day weekend."

I was confused. "What are you talking about? There's no holiday on Monday."

"Is that really how you were going to explain it?" Jordan said with a laugh.

"We have business at the northern side of the city," Bennett explained. "We're skipping school tomorrow."

"How can you possibly skip school with a gang-related explanation without your sister or Declan's parents not... Nevermind."

Jordan's face lit up so brightly it could have powered solar panels for years.

"Obviously with my technical prowess, I can easily-"

"Yeah, I get."

"The school's database will never know-"

"And we certainly will."

"No one can ever match my-"

"You can stop."

"Can't you let me have this?" Jordan cried.