Chapter 39: We Won

Chapter 39

"Nina, I think we need a new strategy!" Natasha shouted as she and Athena fought the Chitauri. Natasha had a cut lip, and small amount of blood on her temple.

"Hold on," Athena shouted back. She was in the middle, surrounded by the chitauri, who were firing their weapons at her, but that didn't do much damage to her. Her spear was set ablaze, a new discovery she found at the battle field, and she used it to kill all the aliens around her. One, by one, they all fell as the spear set on fire by her power, struck them each. When the last alien fell, she jogged to Natasha's side, "I think you're right, that portal needs to—"

An alien slammed Natasha on the hood of a taxi car and another two came for Athena. Natasha used her widow's bite to electrocute the alien, taking his gun and shooting him. Athena set her spear on fire, tossing it towards the two aliens, killing them both with a single throw.

As Athena went to collect her spear, Steve landed behind Natasha.

"Captain, none of this is going to mean a damn thing if we don't close that portal," Natasha said, almost out of breath.

"Our biggest guns couldn't touch it," Steve said.

"I don't think it's about guns," Athena said walking towards them.

"There's got to be another way to close that portal," Natasha said eyeing the wormhole.

"If you want to get up there, you're going to need a ride," Steve said.

"I've got a ride," Natasha threw the alien gun to the side and gave herself enough distance from Steve and Athena, "you're a super soldier, and you're a goddess, you both have this, I need a boost though to get up there."

"Are you sure about this Nat?" Athena worried.

"Yeah, it's gonna be fun," Natasha said sarcastically. She ran and jumped on the cab, landing on Steve's shield, who immediately pushed her up. She landed just in time on top of an alien aircraft, taking her away.

More aliens landed around Steve and Athena, they both looked at each other, smiling knowing that they were ready to kick ass together.

They couldn't have anticipated it, but they both made a great team together. They were a well structured duo, fighting wordlessly as one with fighting the chitauri. Athena used mostly fire, water, and air. Water and air to create ice. Each element that came from her hands was manifested into a small bolt or spear-like weapons. She threw each of them at all the chitauri that came for her and Steve, she had his back and he also had hers. Steve would throw his shield to an alien or to take care of an alien about to come for Athena, she silently had thanked him with a smile many times and vice versa with Athena and her power.

Tony had flown by to help while he could. He touched down where both Athena and Steve were fighting. He helped Steve by blasting his lasers against his shield and hitting all the chitauri around. Athena waved her arms above her head as the wind picked up the aliens around her sending them in Tony's way, and he blasted them. Tony continued to helpful anywhere he could see. Above them, Clint shot his arrows in all directions, also leveling the field. Thor and the Hulk were also teaming up, taking down as much aliens as they could. This was the dream team Nick Fury wanted to form, The Avengers.

"Captain, the bank on 42nd past Madison; they've cornered a lot of civilians in there," Clint came through the earpiece.

"I'm on it," Steve said finally taking down a chitauri.

Athena paused for a moment, walking over to Steve, "I can help you."

"No Nina, stay here, I promise I'll be back, just keep the civilians out of the streets and somewhere safe ok," Steve said, and he noticed his close proximity to Athena, but she didn't seem to mind. They were almost intimately close.