Chapter One // Run

-

I lowered my seat so I was laying down and looked at the stars through my sunroof.

I'm not sure if it was the alcohol talking or if I'm just psychotic, but I'm ready for this change. I can start over.

But what did the government mean by the world as we knew it was over?

I turned the radio off, annoyed with the static.

Radio frequency and cell phone signal went out about an hour ago. I've heard approximately seventeen explosions since the alerts three hours ago.

The only thing worrying me was my family. Are they okay? What is happening, exactly? Are they safe?

I jumped, hearing a loud thump on the back of my car.

"Mel! Come on!" I heard Devin yell.

I quickly grabbed my purse and unlocked my doors before jumping out and running to my brother's truck.

"You reek." Devin mumbled, rolling down his window.

"Where's the girl?" I asked.

"She ran home." He replied.

Devin made an abrupt cut off the road and into a trail into the woods.

"This is like some zombie video game. It's crazy." He stated.

"Zombie?" I asked.

"Zombie apocalypse." He replied.

"Excuse me?" I inquired, my fear now building.

-

"Oh thank God!" My older sister, Megan exclaimed as I walked inside my house.

"Where are you going?" I asked my dad, watching him load his pistol.

"To go find your mother." He answered.

My mother and father divorced when I was seventeen, and I'm twenty-eight now.

"Dad.." Devin hesitated as my dad grabbed the truck keys.

"Hold the fort down. When I come back we're heading south." My dad replied as he shut the door behind him.

"So, what do we do now?" I asked.

"Pack up. Important things only, forget the rest." Megan demanded.

I ran upstairs to my room before grabbing my suitcase from my closet.

I threw jeans, tank tops, flannels, jackets, socks, underwear, and bras into the suitcase before grabbing my other suitcase.

I changed my shoes from my sneakers to my combat boots that used to be for looks, but I guess now it's for.. combat?

I grabbed the empty suitcase and filled it with toiletries such as: deodorant, body powder, soap, shampoo and conditioner, and all the rolls of tissue I could find.

I dropped what was in my hand after hearing a blood-chilling scream from outside.

I took a peek out of my window, watching as a zombie-like figure chewed on my neighbor's little girl.

___________________

sorry it's short!! I've been busy writing my essay for my senior project 😩😩

I LOVE YOU GUYSSS