Scene Seventy-Six

Marcus skidded to a halt, too, at the sight of her.  "Maisie!" After a few awkward seconds, he started again.  "I'm sorry I haven't reached out since our last date."

Maisie shrugged, though she was dying for some sort of explanation.  "You weren't interested, I get it."

He shook his head.  "No, it wasn't that.  My dad-" he gestured down the hall.  "He's in the ICU - I got the call early the next morning, after our date - and I've been trying to help my mom and my brother and being here for him - I couldn't have any distractions."

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea."

"I should have texted you back to let you know what was happening,"  his voice broke, "but the truth is, I couldn't put it down. I couldn't see the words, or say them - that my dad is... dying."

Maisie automatically closed the few yards between them and hugged him.  His face burrowed into the crook of her neck and she heard the tell tale signs of crying.

"I'm so, so sorry," she repeated several times, rubbing his back.  His grip around her tightened.  All annoyance with him from the ghosting, and all anger with her mother melted away as she held him.  Her problems seemed so petty in comparison to what he was dealing with.

He broke away and wiped his face with the back of his hand.  "Sorry about that."

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Maisie assured him.

"I was on my way to get coffee."

"I'll walk with you, if you want.  I was looking for food."

He nodded and they fell into step together.  He seemed to know the layout of the hospital very well, which broke Maisie's heart a little more.  How much time had he spent here in the last week?

"What are you doing here?" he asked while they waited for an elevator.

"Momma Frampton broke her leg this morning."

"Yikes," he said.  "I imagine she's being an absolute delight for the nurses."

Maisie laughed.  "They're going to cry when she leaves - tears of joy."

"I hope for their sake that's soon."

"I'm not sure.  She was alone when I got here and was in a Mood, so we didn't really get into it.  After the fifth or sixth insult about my life choices, I had to get out of there."

"Cafeteria is this way," Marcus pointed out when they stepped off the elevator.  He got his coffee and Maisie purchased a fruit plate and cup of yogurt for her mother.

As they were parting to return to their parents' rooms, Maisie touched his arm.  "I understand you can't do romance or a relationship right now, but I can be your friend.  I would love to be there for you while you're going through this.  I know a little what it's like."  Her dad's death had been sudden and unexpected, but the pain didn't lessen just because you were expecting the worst to happen.

Marcus nodded and hugged her again. "I'll text or call if I need someone to talk to."

"Please do," she urged.

"Thanks, Maze."