t h i r t y f i v e

As Zara gets ready for bed my mind travels to the man I met today. His clothes were formal, his emotions were heightened and he seemed to care for my girl.

Zara frowns struggling to put her pyjama top on. I laugh helping her, "mama..tab-bey."

"You wanna sleep with Tabby?" I ask grabbing her toy cat, Tabby, from the floor. Zara nods reaching for it. Tucking her under the sheets I tuck Tabby under her small arm. She smiles cuddling it, I turn the lights of and watch her. Zara keeps her eyes open watching me, "babe, come on it's time to shut your eyes."

Zara shuts her eyes but her giggles tell me she isn't even trying to fall asleep. "Baby, please get some sleep."

"Maaaa!" She laughs for an unknown reason to me. I lay down properly on the bed we share. Zara rolls towards me resting her head on my shoulder.

"Goodnight, beautiful."

♔♔♔

"Rosalie," Marina sighs.

"I know I'm late," I quickly tie on my apron and fix my messy hair, "I had troubles with Zara all morning."

"You should just spend a day relaxing with her, she seems to always make a fuss. Maybe it's daycare?" she advises.

"I know, I know. I just don't have time to have a relax day," I reply grabbing a notepad.

I can't help but think of the many jobs I need to do as soon as possible. It all stresses me along with this highly underpaid job. I lean against the counter waiting for a new customer to come into the store or any who is looking for assistance.

Above all I can't help but think of Micah and him showing up again. I force myself to think of something else but I can't, everything else I can think of, all the jobs piling up on my shoulders revolve around Zara.

These jobs are around because of that man.

Jobs that shouldn't be on my shoulders.

A customer walks in and finds an empty seat towards the back. I walk over to her, "good morning, my names Rosalie and I'll be your waitress for the morning," I smile putting in an act like my life is ever so perfect.

His face looks oddly familiar, I can't put my finger on it though. I realise the many customers I've served since I started waitressing at sixteen that I'm sure I've seen this man before - or one who looks similar.

♔♔♔

I walk to Zara's daycare from work, the summer heat is slowly turning into frost. I spot Micah a few feet in front of me, he converses with a shady looking man. Our eyes connect for the slightest second, I'm quick to brake it. I rush past hoping he doesn't realise me. But it's Micah, of course he does.

His footsteps follow me towards the daycare centre. "Always stalking me, huh?" I say out loud to the air.

"It's a coincidence," he catches up, walking beside me.

"What are you doing?" I ask. "Cause if you think your spending more time with Zara.. you're wrong."

"Rosalie, you can't deny me from seeing my own daughter."

"I wouldn't if you choose to hang around when she was born," I shake my head. It hurts all over again, the pain of him being gone when I needed him, the pain of seeing Zara sick in a hospital crib.