t h i r t y s i x

Marina leans against the counter, tapping her nails against her mug. "I just, I don't know what to do you know?" Her face turns into a frown. "It's so difficult. I want to be with Mason but I also want my single years to last forever."

"If you get yourself too roped in you get pregnant like me and end up alone. I say ditch the boy."

"Well isn't that just great help, Rose," she replies sarcastically.

"Sorry, hun," I sigh, "he mustn't make you as happy as you believe, if he did you wouldn't be asking yourself, asking me of all people if you should be with him."

"You're right," she sighs.

The shop bell rings. I sigh turning around. The minute I see him, I pray he doesn't see me. Pushing Marina to the counter I hid in the back room. What. The. Hell. Is Micah doing here? "Yes, I'll be back in a minute," Marinas wary voice says.

She comes into the back room. "First of all, that hurt. Second, why is a really hot guy asking for you and you hid.."

"That's Zara's dad," I sigh.

"Uh, what?"

"I haven't seen him for two years and I don't want him in my life again. Nor do I want Zara to get to know him."

"Rose I really don't think his leaving any time soon."

"Ugh, fine. I'll go out but you serve him."

"His asking for you."

"Fine. I have 7 minutes and my shift is over and I can leave and you make sure he doesn't follow me."

"Deal."

Stepping out I wipe my hands on my apron. "What would you like today?" I ask.

"Can we talk?"

"I very much recommend the lemon tarts or the chocolate cake. That's if your looking for a dessert."

Micah sighs, "Rose. I'm serious."

"If you don't want anything, I ask you nicely to please leave."

"Cake. Give me the cake."

"That'll be $4.80."

Micah hands me cash. Putting the money in the register I hand Micah change back. I act like I don't know him. Marina puts a slice of cake on a plate, handing it to him. He walks to a table sitting down. "Rosalie! Cara isn't coming on I need you to stay until the end tonight!" Jamie rushes down the stairs.

"What? No I can't. I told you I can't stay unless my friend is in town."

"Too bad. Get back too work."

"Please, I need to pick up my daughter."

She sighs putting her hands on the counter, "Rosalie it wasn't a question."

"Ten minutes, please just let me go and get her I'll bring her back here and she won't cause a fuss. You know she doesn't cause trouble."