Chapter 25

Whatever I had been expecting, it was not how I woke up this morning. Last night I had been so tired with all the work that had gone into skinning the bear, harvesting the herbs from the meadow, and the other daily tasks I had preformed.

A first it was just a odd sensation that roused me from sleep, like someone was talking to me. Slowly the voice became clearer and an odd familiarity to it had me opening my eyes. A pair of unblinking confused brown eyes stared at me. These eyes held my attention long enough for a  sleepy but feminine voice to ask, "Why are you sleeping on my legs?"

Without needing to see her face I knew it was Kaelyn. Relief flooded into my chest as I lifted my head which was on her legs apparently, so that I could look at my traveling companion. Her head was raised so that it was no longer lying on her bed, but she was still mostly lying down. A good thing, as her dress was still undone and she would never forgive me if I let her sit up and have it draped around her hips.

"Z." Brought me back to the present. Unsure how much she could remember or if she could remember anything after she had been shot, I answered her question slowly, "I am sorry. Yesterday took a lot out of me and I must have fallen asleep on your legs. That was not me internion I assure you."

"Yesterday?" Kaelyn echoed, the confused look still on her face. 

Choosing my words carefully, I asked, "What was the last thing you remember? The day after the fight at the hospital? Buying the canoe from the merchant at the docks? Going through the ravine of shining moss?"

Fear shined in Kaelyn's face as she hesitantly replied, "I remember all of that. We exited the ravine and were following it to the tree line... what happened Z. I do not remember us getting to it."

"Kaelyn, you do not remember anything else because you have been unconscious for over a week. You were shot while we were heading to the tree line, twice actually. I was able to get the canoe to this spot and we have been here ever since," I explained looking her in the eyes as I did.

Breaking my gaze, she looked around for what I assumed was the first time. The interior of the hut was not much, firewood was stacked on either side of the entrance, the pelts  of the beaver and otters were draped on them, our bags stuffed underneath Kaelyn's bed. My crutch leaned up against the edge of the entryway, a reminder of my healing injuries.

Quieter than before and with a voice of fear and anxiety she stammered, "Where are we?"

Smiling to try and put her at ease, I responded, "North of Columbia, of at I am sure. Now I cannot  be sure where exactly on the map we are, but I am not worried. This land is just like that of home, full of fish, birds, and small mammals. If you are curious about the structure, I built it myself. This area is a good spot as any to shelter on for winter. Besides all the game, I have been able to find herbs and greens that we will want come winter."

"Have you been walking around using that crutch this whole time?" was all she had to say in reply.

Nodding my head I explained, "My injuries are healing but it is difficult to do a lot of tasks and not have something to lean on when my leg starts to hurt. I have been using it less and less, but I do not know how long it will take for my leg to return to its former strength... Which is why I am going out to get breakfast."

Standing up, I turned and walked over to the crutch. Once I had fitted it underneath my arm, zip shuffled out the door and made my way to the storage pit. Meat was a must for Kaelyn now that she was awake, as her body needed to fill itself with the energy needed to heal and prepare for the cold harsh conditions of winter. Beaver meat held a large amount of calories, and it along with a tea of Lily of the Valley and Marsh Violet would be Kaelyn's breakfast. I would cook myself a chunk of the bear on a spit. The bear meat was tough to cut as the bear had stiffened up and the temperature of the air had gotten cold last night.