38. One Friend Left?

I awoke with a shout, calling Nik's name. I was lying on a sofa and the stake was gone from my back thankfully. I quickly looked around me, they were all gone. I jumped up and was about to leave when a man I've never seen before entered the room.

He was tall, at least six feet, with brown hair and blue eyes. He wore a suit, and stood in the doorway with one hand in his pocket as he watched me.

"So you're awake?" he finally said. I nodded, there was something about this man, something familiar but I couldn't place it. He entered further into the room, unbuttoned his jacket and sat down, crossing his legs. I watched him warily as he waved his hand, indicating for me to sit.

I wanted desperately to go, to find Nik and Rebekah but something inside me told me to sit, so I did.

"Now," he began, "I came here looking for my brother and sister, but instead I find you... with a broken neck and a stake in your back. Would you be so kind as to tell me what is going on?"

"You're Elijah!" It was more a statement than a question. He dipped his head slightly.

"Yes, and you are?" he asked in a very polite voice.

"My name is Jennifer, Jennifer Fell. Nik and Bekah have told me about you. Well.... Bekah has anyway." I explained.

I could see I had piqued his interest as my voice went soft and the mention of his siblings, but it only lasted a moment as it quickly hardened again.

"As for the whereabouts of your brother and sister, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you but they did something to Bekah... I'm not sure what. And when I got home to warn Nik I found my friends, well my ex-friends, desiccating him. I tried to stop them... that was when Elena stabbed me in the back, literally, and snapped my neck."

The words flew from my lips and before my eyes Elijah's posture transformed from poised and relaxed to tense and angry.

But I didn't have time to worry about how Elijah felt right now. My mind was focused only on finding Nik... and Bekah of course. I started to leave but again he spoke, stopping me.

"Where are you going Miss Fell?"

I looked over my shoulder, "Call me Jennifer... and I'm going to find my boyfriend and his sister."

With that I took off before I was stopped a third time.

****************

Damon stood in his usual place in front of the fire, with Stefan sitting in the armchair to his left. They both held glasses of scotch.

Elena, Bonnie and Jeremy were sitting on the sofa facing them, none of them talking. Tyler was by the drinks table with a happy smile on his face while Caroline stood by the window. She was the only one wearing a look of worry.

Tyler turned to the group and raised his glass. "Here's to an original free life!"

Everyone but Caroline joined in his toast, causing Damon to turn his attention to her.  "What's wrong Blondie?"

She stepped closer to the group, her arms folded across her chest. "Are you serious? We have Klaus... god knows where. We have Rebekah. Elena broke Jennifer's neck. What the hell do you think she's going to do when she wakes up? Say 'Oh well, never mind!' No, she'll do everything in her power to get them back, and..."

Caroline went quiet. Tyler took a step in her direction. "And what Caroline?" His knuckles turning white as his hand tightened around his glass.

She squared her shoulders as she answered him, "And I wouldn't... totally... blame her." Her voice started strong but came out low.

"This is why we didn't tell you the plan or where we put Klaus," Tyler snapped at her, "You would have run to Jennifer and told her."

Caroline turned back to the window as a chorus of raised voices erupted behind her. How did they not understand? Did they already forget what Elena went through when Stefan was with Klaus last year, killing without mercy, and what Elena went through to get him back?

Caroline couldn't take the shouting any more. She ran from the house, from her friends. She was afraid Jennifer would never forgive her for this.

************************

I watched Caroline run from the house. I was behind Bonnie's car in the Salvatore driveway, out of sight. I had heard the entire conversation take place thanks to heightened hearing, which is the only reason I didn't chase after her. It was good to know I had at least one friend left.

Don't get me wrong. I never expected them to forget what Nik put them through or for them all to be bosom buddies. But this was too far. There wasn't one among us better than the others. We have all done horrible things. When it came down to it, there was no such thing as a truly good vampire.

Of course saying that, I would do anything to get Nik back. Depending on how things were about to work out, I may not even have Caroline as a friend at the end of this.

When I was sure I wouldn't be seen I snuck into the house and as quiet as possible made my way to the cellar. At the moment it was my best bet. The door to the cell was open, not a good sign. If there were trying to keep some-one in wouldn't it be locked? I went in anyway.

My eyes fell to the body in the centre of the room. I clenched my teeth together to stop myself from shouting in anger.

Rebekah was lying face down on the ground, her skin grey and lifeless with a silver dagger protruding the centre of her back. I swore under my breath as I rushed to her side. Without pausing I pulled the dagger from her and gently turned her around.

I remembered the freezer full of blood bags the brothers kept a few feet from the cell door. Quietly I ran and grabbed two bags. When I returned Rebekah was starting to wake up. When her eyes met mine her mouth opened to speak but I covered it with my hand, using my other to point upwards.

Thankfully she caught on immediately and I felt her mouth close under my hand. I removed it and handed her the blood bags which she tore into, draining them, the colour returning to her skin.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and typed a message.

'Nik desiccated! Don't know where. I will find him. Get more blood, I need your strength, then follow me up.'

 The anger that took over Rebekah as she read the message was evident, but she nodded. I stood to leave but paused to quickly type another message,

'Oh, and I met Elijah.' 

Her eyes widened and her scowl briefly turned into a soft smile. I gave her a quick hug then left her to go face the Scooby gang.