Chapter Twenty Eight

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2017). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

EREBUS

Holding her against me, I dashed through the woods. Her limp body hung in my arms as I clutched her protectively. No-one would ever harm her again. I would make sure of it.

Every so often, I glanced behind me, to make sure no human was following me. I would never put my family in danger.

The daylight reflected off her pale face, her pink lips swollen. She was naturally beautiful, her striking features anything but demure. I marveled at how small she was, how perfectly she fit in my arms.
We passed tree after tree, the foliage becoming darker as I allowed my senses to guide me home.

The castle soon came into view, the majestic-ness of it was unmatched. But it was much more than just 'Helencia Castle'; It was home.

The guards looked panicked as I approached them, my Adrienne's very human scent had them in a panic.

"King Erebus, a human has been-" one of them rushed out frantically, clearly panicked.

He stopped mid-sentence, taken aback by an unconscious Adrienne in my arms. Saying nothing, he bowed as the other guards followed him.

I laughed. "Such formalities are unnecessary. Thank you for protecting our home, but this human here is no threat" I informed them, smiling.

Despite my protestations, the guards bowed again. "It is our honour to protect and serve our king" They each replied in unison.
Passing the guards, I strolled through the entry to the castle. More guards bowed and allowed me through, an inquisitive look on their faces.

I said nothing, yet wrapped the cloak tighter around mon lumiére. Brushing a brown lock of hair away from her face, I pressed a soft kiss to her forehead.

As if on cue, all three of my advisors came barreling down the stairs.

"EREBUS"!

Their panicked voices echoed loudly in the grand entrance, as worried looks marred their faces. Apon seeing my Adrienne unconscious in my arms, they stopped dead in their tracks; rendered silent.

I said nothing, but passed them and started to ascend the large staircase leading to the next floors.
I could hear their footsteps behind me.

Up another staircase, around a corner, and down a hall we continued. Adrienne still lay in my arms, unmoving. Reaching my lower chambers, I creamed open the door.
Cyan, Damian, and Aspen stood in the doorway, overlooking me as I tended to my Adrienne. An odd feeling pulled through me.
A need to care for this little lumiére that ran so trustingly to me.

Carrying her tiny form to my bed, I lay her gently on the covers. Gently removing her shoes and cloak, I set them on one of the many chairs. Scooping her back into my arms, I pulled back the satin sheets, nestling her in between them; being careful not to wake her.

Tucking the sheets around her limp form, I lay her head on one of the many soft pillows that covered the large bed. Brushing her hair back, I placed a kiss on her forehead; before turning and heading to where my advisors stood.

They looked taken aback, not able to say a word as I brushed past them and muttered, "Advisory room".

Aspen, Damian, and Cyan said nothing as they peered across the vast table. I took a deep breath.

"I just couldn't leave her there" I mumbled.

My advisors exchanged a look.

"When her father raised a hand against her, I had to do something".

Aspen cleared his throat. "How the hell did you justify taking her away like that; not to mention why she is unconscious Erebus"!

I looked down, fire raging in my eyes. "The Curse".

All three of my advisors looked towards each other in a panic as I waved a hand.

"I drew her blood, I didn't want her to see the kind of monster I am" I choked out. "You do understand this could have all of Asteaia coming after you," Cyan asked worryingly.

I nodded.

"They can come after me if they so please, but they will not come after my family. The town has no idea that I'm not the only vampire in the forest". "If it so comes to that, I will fight them alone. I will never stand by and watch my family get hurt because if me".

My advisors exchanged another look amongst themselves. Damian opened his mouth as if to say something, but said nothing.

"All of Asteaia will pay dearly for what they have done, I will make sure of it" I said brazenly.
"I had warned them of the curse, yet their foolish ways haven't changed".

"Erebus".

"They hurt her. My Adrienne"!
"How could they? How could I let it happen" I murmured incoherently, a sole tear sliding down my face.

"And for that, they will pay with their lives".

I left the room abruptly, heading straight to my chambers.
Just as I was leaving, I missed something Aspen whispered to Cyan and Damian. Ignoring that, I headed towards her.

Towards Mon Lumiére.