33 | Trust

T H I R T Y   T H R E E

~No matter where I go, I'm always gonna want you back.~

a d e l i n

"What the fuck is he doing here." Caleb's eyes don't leave his gleeful father, the words spoken in a lethally calm voice.

Not wanting to cause a scene, I trace soothing circles on the back of his palm "Don't."

The last thing we need is for Caleb to kill his father.

The fire in his eyes calms as they meet mine, stepping infront of him, I block the view of his father and lean into him, smiling when his arms instinctively come around my naked back, warming it.

Circling my arms around his neck, my lips meet the skin his cheek in a soft kiss.

"Ignore him. He's only here for the auction, he'll be gone as soon as it ends. Away from you, away from us." I whisper, feeling him nod agaisnt me, my smile only widens.

That's my boy.

I straighten and his arm shifts around my waist as we begin to search for our friends, his hand resting at my hip. Unfortunately, my mother spots me, dull eyes scrutinising me before moving to Caleb.

The dullness of them morphs into something brighter. My guard comes up.

She whispers something to my father then exchanges a few words with Calebs father and I almost forgot to hide my misery when they start to move towards us.

Of all the people, why did mother have to drag along Albert Carter with her. I don't mind tolerating her presence-i'd done it for years-but pair her with Caleb's father and I'm sure this night is going to get very messy, very soon.

"You look lovely, darling." It had been some time since i'd last heard the sophisticatedly cordial tone Mother used in public and I did not miss it. At all.

Her bitter displeasure, I can take, but these sweet smiles and gentle words cut deeper because I'm reminded of what she's capable of, of a version of her I could have had. It gets hard to remember that the world is her stage.

Masking my face into a bright smile, I nod.

"Nothing compared to you, mother." I reply, proving that the apple doesn't, in fact, fall far from the tree-in this case anyway.

"Well hello there, beautiful baby sister." Austin grins, my smile morphs into a sincere grin as I step out of Caleb's hold to hug Austin.

He traps me is a chokingly tight bear hug, I hit his back in pleas of oxygen feeling his chest vibrate with chuckles.

I think a rib or two just cracked "Ass." I mutter just for my brother's ear.

Mother's smile strains, so she turns expectantly to my boyfriend who still hasn't torn his eyes from his father, making no effort to mask his hostility.

Feeling my mother's eagle like attention, he spares his father, giving my parents a dashing smile.

"Caleb, nice to meet you Mr and Mrs Alderige." He greets, shaking my father's hand. Austin moderately turns his back to everyone, facing me he pouts his lips, making kissing gestures and noises.