The Plan

We had a plan. At last, we had a plan. Yet, my mind was focused on something else entirely. I had spent years running, just to find out that it was all for nothing. I could have been with my brothers and sister. Always and forever. Like we promised. Klaus never wanted me dead; he just wanted us to be a family.

So, I found myself standing at the door to my brothers mansion. Unsure of whether to go in. I could tell that he had done a lot of work on the place since I had last been here. Before I could make up my mind however, the front door opened. Klaus himself standing in the doorway.
"Sister" he nodded, "Of all the people I'd think to find loitering on my doorstep, you aren't exactly at the top of my list".
"I'm surprised there's enough people for a list, you never were the popular one" I quipped in response, before sighing and stepping inside.
"Yes, come right in, you're welcome" he murmured, sarcasm dripping from his voice, before shutting the door and turning back to me. "Why are you here, Grace?".

I paused a moment, admiring the house. It was beautiful. And yet, so entirely empty. It felt lonely.
"I... don't actually know" I replied absentmindedly, before entering another room. I noticed one of the glass doors, shattered, ripped off its frame. My brother shook his head slightly, laughing at my confusion.
"You can blame Elijah for that, had a much more hostile reaction to getting daggered than you did" he nodded, "have you seen him, at all?".
"I have, Nik, he isn't happy with you" I continued on to the next room, looking at the various paintings hung up on the wall. They were his, that much I knew. He always had a way with art.

Klaus sighed, following me as I explored the house. He was becoming more and more tense, as if embarrassed by it all.
"Yes, well... none of you are very happy with me these days" he shrugged, leaning against a bookcase as I reached the main room.
"I wonder why" I snorted, "You've daggered most of us, killed my friends, ruined lives... do you need me to go on, or?".
"Yes, Yes, I know" he said, "the big bad hybrid, nothing but pure evil".

I turned back to face him then, watching him curiously.
"Is that what you want people to think?" I asked, the smirk that was playing on his lips dropping suddenly, "Because we both know that it's not true".
"How do you know?" he said immediately, staring back at me.
"What is this place, Nik? This house? What's it all for?" I stepped forward again, wanting an answer I didn't know if he could give. He sighed again, looking to the ground.
"I built it for us, our family" he admitted, "I wanted it to be a home".

He looked up then, not quite knowing how I would react. I nodded. I was right.
"I think it could be" I mumbled, making up my mind at last. He seemed almost taken aback, yet said nothing as I walked out of the room.

There was hope for him. I knew it.

_________

It was early evening when I arrived back at The Boarding House. I had left the mansion as Elijah arrived. The plan was about to unfold. I needed to speak to the others.

Damon, Stefan were stood in the parlour when I walked in.
"Damon" I said breathlessly, "we need to talk".
"Sure" he shrugged, nodding to his brother.
"I'll, uh... wait in the car" Stefan nodded back, before making his way out.

Now that Damon and I were alone, I couldn't quite form the words that I wanted to say.
"Are you okay?" He asked, stepping towards me. He cupped my face in his hands, like he always did, studying my face as if it could tell him what was wrong.
"I don't know" I whimpered, shaking my head as I did so.
"What's the matter? Hey, Red, come on, what's up?" He asked again, fingers tracing over my hair.

I looked into his eyes then, so full of worry, void of the usual teasing glint that they so often held.
"I don't think I can do this" I whispered, "I cant do this to Klaus".

Damon scrunched his face up in confusion then, not understanding what was happening.
"What... what do you mean? Klaus is the bad guy here, Grace" he said, trying to remain calm. Yet, I could feel him tensing up slightly, as if bracing himself in anticipation.
"We've all done bad things" I said calmly, looking to the ground, "but there's good in him, I know it, I can see it".
"Good?" Damon stepped back, bewildered. "Am I hearing you right? No... no, this is happening, he's got a hold on all of our lives, Grace".
"He's my brother" I replied, becoming more and more distraught with each passing moment. "I don't see you giving up on yours, so why should I give up on mine?".
"Because he ruined your life, I mean, I know I'm not exactly a walk in the park, but tell me this" he paused, stepping back towards me. "If not for him, you never would have left in 1864, am I right?".

I stood there for a moment, stunned into silence as Damon's hands cupped my face, his thumbs wiping away my tears. I could picture us together once more. The tears on the riverbank by the falls. What would have happened if I had never left?.
"You were running from him, you always have been".
"Damon..." I sighed, shaking my head. He was right.

But oh so wrong.

"No" I pulled out of his grip, turning away slightly to avoid his gaze. "He forgave me, don't you get it? I spent years of my life running when he never even wanted me dead!".
"You can't save him, Grace!" He yelled then, before his face dropped, noticing my own. "Not him...". I shook my head, stubbornly blinking away tears as utter despair washed over Damon's face.
"You're wrong" I mumbled, ignoring the uncertain shaking in my voice, "there's hope for him".
"He doesn't deserve you..." Damon replied, shaking his head tearfully as he stepped out of the door. "And neither do I".

My head shot up then, my eyes curiously fixated on him as he backed crossed the threshold.
"What?" I questioned, the breath leaving my lungs completely. "What do you mean?". I stepped forward, attempting to reach out to him. Only I couldn't. Something was stopping me.

No. It couldn't be.

"Damon?" My eyes widened in shock, my palms desperately pressing against the barrier. "What did you do?" I yelled, slamming my fists against it, "what is this?".

My breathing was becoming panicked and rapid as I tried desperately to get out. Damon watched me for a moment, his blue eyes shimmering, knuckles whitening as his fingers tug into his palms. He was conflicted, pained, his jaw tensing as he strengthened his resolve.

He had to do it. He had to protect her.
"I'm sorry, Grace" he murmured.
"No, no, no! Damon!" I cried out, just as he turned his back. "Please, no!". I tried to force my way through the barrier again to no avail, crumpling in a heap just inside the door as I watched Damon walk away.
"Please" I sobbed, "don't leave me here".

And with that, he was gone.

Damon

The two brothers pulled up outside of Klaus' mansion, a heavy silence shadowing them both as they sat for a moment. The calm before the storm. "You ready?" Stefan turned to Damon, whose eyes were fixated downwards.
"Yeah" he mumbled, turning the engine off.
"She'll forgive you, y'know" Stefan said, sighing slightly, earning a disbelieving scoff in return. "She will" he continued, "I know how much it broke her to let you go before".

Damon looked up then, glancing to his sibling curiously as he struggled for words. Stefan wasn't completely himself nowadays, yet he understood his brother's pain. Better than anyone.
"She loves you, Damon... always has and always will" he paused, before glancing back at the mansion, "now" he sighed, "let's not screw this up".

__________

(Hey guys! Thankyou for reading, I hope you liked this chapter! Updates have been slow because of work and lack of motivation and all but I really wanna finish this so yeah!
I'm also gonna start a new story, A klaus fanfiction, and I've got a lotttt of ideas so stay tuned!
Love, H)