18

Everyone is looking.

All attention is on Nate and me as I step out of my car and walk over to his side. He opened the door himself but I am right there to grab onto his hand to walk into the school.

It's comical really, how everyone's heads are turned and their eyes and mouths are wide open. Danny and some friends stand in the grass, tossing a football around like they do most mornings, staring, watching, most possibly in shock as Nate and I stroll hand in hand by them. The football hits Danny in the side of the shoulder as he is caught off guard at our public outing.

I try my best not to make eye contact because though I feel slightly uncomfortable at the moment, I feel more proud to have Nate holding my hand in public. This was a large step from the shy, timid, boy who stuttered his first and fifth sentence to me.

"I don't have to have working eyes to know everyone is looking at us," Nate says low in his throat, his head ducked closer to my ear as we walk across the front court.  

I give his hand an extra tight squeeze hoping that will relax him but I know it does the opposite. Nate's movements are quicker paced than normal. He's trying to run. I cover his hand in mine with my other, telepathically trying to make him understand that I care about him. That I don't want him to run because I'm not running anymore.

"Would you like a play by play?" I can't keep the humor out of my voice because it is all too much for my cryptic self. We pass Alyssa and Mariah by the stairs and I don't miss the shake of her head as she watches us continue. I cast my eyes away so I don't see anymore.

"Most definitely," Nate replys, unintentionally bumping his shoulder against mine as we walked through the doors of Stanton High.

I shake my head and laugh for what feels like the umpteenth time this morning. It all started when I had to drag Nate into my car, him accusing me of trying to kidnap him again. It took me kissing him to distract him into backing up and ducking his head into the car. His pout is still fresh in my mind and it makes it hard not to kiss him in front of everybody as I admire him now.

One step at a time.

Once we were seated in our front row seats in Biology, Nate and I took out our research notes and began. It doesn't take long to feel the constant electric current surge between our bodies as we both hunched over our desks and try our best to focus.

My foot taps relentlessly against the floor and out of the corner of my eye I can see Nate doing the same rapture with his pencil. I scoot my desk closer to his. Nate flinches at the sharp sound and I continue tapping my foot. I just needed to be closer to him.

With slow movements I reach over and lay my hand on his thigh pretending to lean closer to him to get a peek at something in his textbook. Nate's body goes rigid under my touch. I make a leisure trail of my fingertips up and down his jean covered thighs loving the warmth his body admitted to the pads of my fingers.

"Kelly, what are you doing?" Nate's voice is low, husky even, as he shifts in his seat.

"Nothing," I innocently say and lay my palm flat on his thigh. I lean my shoulder against his and relish in his body heat, so warm and safe. I turn back to my textbook and jot down more notes.

"T-that doesn't f-feel like nothing." His adam's apple bobs dramatically and it takes everything in me not to press my lips to his throat.

I blush like a wanton woman. Instead of following my hormonal wishes, I remove my hand and use it to tuck my hair behind my ear. Okay, I needed to pull myself together.

Nate shifts in his seat and I can tell he's embarrassed by the situation. His face is blotchy red and his nostrils are flared. I can't suppress the giggle that bubbles up in me as I run my fingers through my hair.