Chapter 55: Sydney

Staring out at the castle on the hill from where she stood, Sydney let her mind wander over her past. Right in front of her was the same broken balcony that always taunted her with its inviting destruction, just like the truth she'd just realized.

Gazing out at that castle from afar, her mind brought little things to her rememberance that she hadn't thought anything of at the time. Now, she realized there were subtle signs and clues to a bigger truth she somehow missed.

"You're such an idiot, Jasp," I teased, shaking my head at him. "That girl was flirting with you."

"So? I was clearly talking to you when she walked up. That's just rude, and rude is not attractive to me."

"She said 'excuse me'!" I pointed out.

He simply shrugged his shoulders innocently as we walked to the gym, getting ready for another one of our workout sessions. The subject changed to something insignificant when the boisterous shout of our favorite ginger caught our attention.

"Jasper Sebastian Pierce!" Liz called out, her tone almost scolding as she marched over to us in her wedge-like heels.

"Elizabeth Marie St. Vincent!" he yelled, mocking her like he usually did.

I focused on keeping my face still, my muscles cramping as I tried not to laugh at Liz's expression.

"You know, I sent Cristiana over to you so that you could finally get a girlfriend, and you turned her down? What's wrong with you?"

Looking at Jasper, I noticed he was uncomfortable because he wasn't making eye contact with either of us. I don't think he knew that was his giveaway, but I did.

"I don't like her like that, Liz," he said.

"I'm starting to think you don't like anyone in that way," she grumbled as she walked away. "Next time, just ask the girl on a date!"

I was mid-laugh when he looked over at me, his stare intense and serious, an expression I only saw on occassion.

"You okay, Jasp?" I asked, lightly tapping his arm.

Clearing his throat, he nodded his head.

"Uh, yeah. Just...tired of Liz always trying to set me up with someone," he answered.

As we walked further toward the gym, I hooked my arm with his.

"She's just trying to make you happy, you goof."

"Yeah, well, some random girl isn't going to make me happy," he countered.

"Oh, so you're waiting for that special someone," I poked playfully, wanting to lighten the mood.

"I already met her. She just doesn't know it's her, yet."

Leaning her head against the aged, wooden door frame, Sydney closed her eyes, completely surrendering herself to her thoughts. The deeper she went, the sadder she felt as she proccessed just how oblivious she had been.

"Hey, Syd?"

I turned my head to look at him, my head still resting on the front seat of his car. He'd driven me to his uncle's property, wanting to help me escape before the police arrested me for a crime I didn't commit.