18

The five death eaters followed their master to the Malfoy Manor. If one was to see it, guilt was obvious on Hermione's face.

She stepped into the familiar doors of the manor and gulped as she saw the table of death eaters.

She shivered as though ice had replaced her spine. The cold enveloped her entire body. Sure the Malfoy Manor was not he brightest and the most cheery place to be, but now it was much worse.

The whole house was silent, as though no one was there. All of the death eaters sat quietly awaiting for its master.

Hermione quickly spotted the young Malfoy and in an instant hoped she could disappear. She had just betrayed him, yes it was for her parents and siblings but guilt still had a way of creeping up to her.

"My fellow followers, we have two new members who have become one of us. Now Gaunts take a seat" Voldemort instructed pointing them to the four empty seats next to he Malfoy's.

Hermione's eyes met her grey eyed lover's. His jaws became clenched and his eyes were so big she was almost afraid they would fall out.

She turned her head a little, breaking the gaze from her and him, but she could still feel him intently looking at her.

Her parents opened the seat next to Draco probably meaning well, but for her it was the completely opposite. She didn't want to face Draco right now. Her arm burned from the mark and she hesitantly sat down next to him.

He turned his head while furrowing his eyebrows as if asking 'why?' and in return, she bit her lip, a habit she would do if she was anxious or nervous. She did her best to send an 'I'm sorry' message through her eyes. Though she didn't know if it worked or not, Draco's eyes visibly softened.

He offered his hand from under the table and without hesitation, Hermione grabbed it spreading instant warmth through her body.

"Now clearly as you can see, the war is starting and our numbers are rising" Voldemort started in his husky tone again.

"I have been trying to get Draco try to fix the cabinet, any improvements so far?" He raised his eyebrows expectantly.

"Yes my lord, but I'm afraid I need more time my lord" Draco answered his eyes trained down on the table. Voldemort sighed and looked next to Hermione who tensed as he turned his inhuman face towards her.

She tightened her grip on Draco's hand involuntarily, waiting for Voldemort's next words.

"Perhaps Miss Hermione Gaunt will help him?" Voldemort asked.
"Of course my lord" Hermione obeyed. She had been helping him for weeks anyways.

"That is all for today, now come Nagini" he said to the snake. The snake jumped and disappeared into his cloak in a zap.

One by one each death eater disapparated out of the manor. Hermione got up to follow her parents when Draco refused to let go of her hand.

"I want to talk to you, please" Draco asked. Hermione turned to her parents and murmured that she would be back in an hour. They nodded in agreement and quickly disappeared to thin air.

She quietly followed behind him around the hallways to a room she guessed was one of Draco's.

"Why?" Was all he asked to make the tear she was holding back slide down her cheeks. "You promised"

"I know I promised Draco, but what did you want me to do? Put my family's life at stake?" Hermione asked him daring for him to answer.

"You promised" was all he replied making Hermione look at him annoyedly.

"Yes I know I promised Draco. But out of all people you should understand me! I wouldn't care how much they torture me or how slowly they would kill me if it was just me Draco. But they're my family and I have to protect them" Hermione reasoned tears streaming down her face.

She was scared and lost, and yearned for someone to comfort her. Someone to tell her that it was all going to be okay.

Draco sighed, wrapping his hand around her engulfing her with comfort.
"I'm just scared that you might get hurt" he reasoned, murmuring against her hair.
"You know I can protect myself Draco" Hermione said half heartedly making Draco smile down to look at her.

Their lips touched again and his hands tightened around her petit waist as her hands tangled in his platinum blond hair. They stumbled backwards falling on the bed with her fumbling at his buttons.

He stopped and looked intently into her brown orbs.
"Hermione, I don't want you regretting anything" he said thoughtfully. Sure they had 'done it' before but just as always, Draco was sweet, which he usually skillfully hid from the other Slytherin companions.

"Distract me" Hermione whispered. "Please, I'm sure of this" she said. And that was all it took for his lips to find hers again.