Chapter 44

WWE Network Special Event – Empty Arena Match – July 8th 2018

Camera shots panning around empty stands greeted the viewers at the start of what promised to be an extraordinary occasion.

"Welcome, everyone, to this WWE Network exclusive event. Renee Young here alongside Jonathan Coachman and Corey Graves."

"This is weird, Renee," Coach said. "The only people in this entire building are the three of us, Greg Hamilton up there in the ring ready introduce our competitors, referee Mike Chioda, and of course the two women who are going to come out here and fight each other momentarily."

"That's right, Coach," Graves said. "Tuesday Night Smackdown's commissioner, Bad News Barrett, made this match between Rowdy Ronda Rousey and Zelina Vega as part of his ridiculous agenda to take out The Vega Cartel. Personally, I'm pulling for Zelina."

"Never mind that," Renee said dismissively. "Let's go over the rules of this match. They're actually quite simple. The match can only end by pinfall or submission, and the decision can happen anywhere in this empty arena."

Coach said, "That means no disqualifications. Anything in the building can be used as a weapon."

"Let's get the action underway," Renee said as the shot changed to show Hamilton standing in the ring.

"This contest is an empty arena match, scheduled for one fall." There was no one to repeat him.

The Vega Cartel's music hit. It sounded strange to be able to actually hear the intro, since it was usually drowned out by booing.

"Here she comes," Graves said proudly as Zelina entered the arena, dressed in the same outfit of black sweatshirt and black jeans that she had worn in the lion's den match. "The leader of The Vega Cartel. The only woman in WWE who has defeated Ronda Rousey to date. I'm backing her to do so again here."

"Vega had plenty of help from Sonya Deville that night," Renee reminded everyone. "That won't be happening tonight. If Vega's going to win, she's going to do it by herself, and I just can't see that happening."

"I have to agree," Coach said. "But I will say that Vega doesn't look scared; she looks ready."

"Of course she's ready," Graves scoffed.

Hamilton made his announcement. "Introducing first, from Queens, New York, Zelina Vega!"

By the time he finished, Zelina was in the ring, limbering up, ready to go. Contrary to what many people might have expected, she hadn't brought a weapon with her. Her music faded, and she noticeably took a deep breath. Some nerves were inevitable, given who was about to come out to face her.

"And here we go!" Renee called out when Bad Reputation began to play and Ronda walked through the curtain. "Rowdy Ronda Rousey enters an arena for the first time since Money in the Bank, where she sustained an injury to her left knee at the hands of Vega and Deville."

Ronda was wearing her white Hot Ronda shirt and a pair of blue jeans. She also had her wrists taped. Both women were dressed to fight, not to wrestle.

Hamilton made his final announcement. "And her opponent, from Venice, California, Rowdy Ronda Rousey!"

"It's a shame Ronda has jeans on because I'd love to see if she has any strapping on that knee," Graves said. "Bad News Barrett told us this past Tuesday that Rousey is one hundred per-cent coming into this match. If that is the case, that really is some bad news."

"That depends if you like sucking up to Vega or not," Renee said pointedly. "You do know she doesn't even notice you, right, Corey?"

Coach laughed. "Don't say that, you'll ruin his life."