Day Three (Part Three)

"Alright, kiddos. I think it's time for you to sleep," Zayn chuckles, scooping the snoring Leo off the floor.

"No," Aurora whines, but a big yawn immediately follows.

"Come on, bub," Niall smiles, lifting Aurora onto one hip and Caleb on the other. Caleb is quiet, clearly very close to sleep, thumb in his mouth.

"We can just put some blankets on the floor," Zayn suggests, realizing there's nowhere for Leo and Aurora to sleep.

"No way. I have an air mattress in here somewhere, my nephew sleeps over a lot." Niall gently lowers Caleb into his bed, who just rolls over and grabs his stuffed dog. Satisfied that he's asleep, Niall turns and digs through the closet, finding the air mattress. "I know it's not much," he tries to apologize, but Zayn just waves his apology away.

"Please. You weren't even expecting to have us stay the night. I'll make it up to you, okay? You come to our place tomorrow night."

"I don't know," Niall mumbles, blushing for some reason.

"Well, if you want to, you're welcome to. Liam won't be there," he adds, as if it's a huge perk.

Niall can't help but laugh, covering his mouth with his hands so he doesn't wake the kids. "Well, with that kind of perk, I'm sold."

Not much later, the air mattress is blown up, and Aurora and Leo are curled up together on it. Caleb, woken up by all the rustling, makes a bit of a fuss until Niall lets him sleep on the air mattress with them.

"You think they'll be okay?" Niall asks, tucking the blanket under the kids' chins. "Usually it's just my brother and his son sleeping on this. I mean, I guess it's fine...these three don't weigh nearly as much as a grown man. But I just --"

"Niall," Zayn interrupts, trying not to laugh. Niall likes the way the corner of his mouth curls up even though Zayn is trying to stop it. "They'll be fine. My two little ones sleep in a bunk bed, I think they can survive an air mattress for one night."

Niall smiles now, embarrassed. "Yeah, you're right. Sorry."

When they leave the room, Hazel is standing in the hallway, looking sleepy. Niall leads her to the guest room, and she climbs into bed, rubbing her eyes. Zayn goes in to kiss her goodnight, and then comes back into the hall, hands in his pockets.

"So," he says, looking sleepy now, too.

"Um...Hazel's taken the guest room, so...you can sleep on the couch or...or in my room," Niall says slowly, staring down at his feet. His cheeks are bright red, and he hates himself for how flustered he feels. He just waits for Zayn to say something with a smirk, making Niall flush even redder, but he doesn't.

Zayn just says, "Where would be most comfortable for you, sweetheart?"

Niall is surprised by that, but it also makes him blush even deeper. "It...It's up to you. I don't mind either way."

"Well, I'll sleep in your room if it's okay with you. Closer to the kids, you know," Zayn says in an entirely innocent voice, but that damn smirk is back on his face.

"Okay then," Niall says back shyly, but he leads his way to the room.

"I can sleep on the floor if you want," Zayn says, mistaking Niall's flushed cheeks and avoidance of eye contact as discomfort.

"Only if you want to," Niall responds, still avoiding his eyes, and Zayn smiles a little when he realizes that Niall is just flustered.

"Big spoon or small spoon?" Zayn grins, helping Niall pull the blankets back on the bed.

"Shut up," Niall blushes, and he heads off to the bathroom to brush his teeth. He gives Zayn an extra toothbrush, and they stand there brushing their teeth. Zayn can't help himself; he makes a dumb face at Niall in the mirror, and he starts to laugh. It's strangely domestic, all of it, and there's nothing about it that Zayn doesn't absolutely love.

"So?" Zayn questions when they make their way back to the room. "Big or small spoon?" Niall doesn't answer, just glares at him, and Zayn chuckles. "Small, then. Yeah, I thought so."

Once they climb into the bed and turn the light off, the room is mostly silent. Zayn is halfway into dreamland when Niall is suddenly curled up against him.

"Small spoon," he mumbles, clearly half-asleep, too.

"Thought so," Zayn says again, beaming now. He pulls Niall closer, though, kissing his forehead. "Goodnight, sweetheart."

"Goodnight," Niall says back. It doesn't take long for him to fall asleep, and Zayn would be quick to follow if not for the constant vibration of Niall's phone. He tries to ignore it, but it's impossible, and he leans over to put it on do not disturb when another text comes through.

Harry: baby

Harry: baby are you awake

Harry: can i see you? it's been so long

Harry: maybe we can spend some quality time together ;)

Harry: i guess you're asleep. call me tomorrow. love you babe

Jealousy and discomfort starts to churn in Zayn's stomach, and it takes him a long, long time to fall asleep.