Outside

l finish placing the last article of clothing into the spare drawer where Mr. Hale granted me access. Everything seems too good to be true in the sense that only a month or so before we hadn't seen each other in almost a year. The project has now in the final stages of development. I was going to miss his presence in the office wearing those nice firm pressed suits.

Curiously I wander into his closet running my fingers through the firm material of his suit jacket. It smells of a cologne I'm unfamiliar with which makes my skin tingle. The notification tone on my phone startles me. I walk over to my iPhone that's lit up with a text message from an unknown number.

212-555-1481: You need to leave, conclude your relationship with Mr. Hale.

I was unfamiliar with the number considering I worked with multiple companies and I used a different number when communicating back and forth with them. The thought crosses my mind that it could have been several people.

Me: And who are you to tell me what I need to do?

212-555-1481: Take it from me you're either going to end your relationship or suffer from your own consequences. The club has its ways of taking care of unwanted guests.

Me: You think threatening me through text message is the appropriate thing to do?

212-555-1481: If you want to report this to the police you have my full permission, but do you really think they would try to interfere with an organization as big as this? Don't be naive now. If Xander has informed you of the dealings you are a loose end.

It would seem that the person texting me became clear as day. This club Paragon was going to become an issue. I felt it in my soul. Mr. Dalton was serious with his clients. I knew he wouldn't be the type of man to get his hands dirty worrying about someone like me exposing his club to the horrors that take place. It was an organization in which Politicians and even Policemen had been members of. My attempts at actually reporting the harassment taking place would be in vain for the police themselves had been corrupted by some sort.

Me: Mr. Dalton?

212-555-1481: If I find out that you have any ties to Mr. Hurst's disappearance in which I will find out. You will be personally handled by me.

Me: I assure you that Mr. Hurst is a grown man to make any choices he pleases. A woman like me cannot enforce or even impulse anything upon him. If Mr. Hale wishes to not in a couple anymore that's on our terms. So don't threaten me ever again.

212-555-1481:
Hmm... I see why he's drawn to you.

Me:
Goodnight.

I don't receive a text message after I send the last one. Mr. Hale is at work in which I do not want to disturb him in between his work, but keeping Mr. Dalton in the dark while he resolves this ordeal had been jeopardizing my safety. The suspicions arise that Mr. Hale could have been lying to me to protect me from getting involved. I was already involved. I run my fingers over the rim of his Oxford shoes each pair looking as if they never been worn. "See something you like?" His voice startles me as I drop my iPhone on the floor.

"Crap!"

Mr. Hale kneels down picking up my iPhone only to turn it around and see the text messages from Mr. Dalton. "Hey, don—," I attempt to reach for my phone but he holds a finger up stopping me in his tracks. His facial expression changed from content to neutral with wrinkles along his forehead stretching over his eyes brows almost making a frown.