o.n.e

Upon a grand, elevated stage, the auctioneer gestured with a grand sweep of his arm. A tall top hat rested precariously upon his head, and his onyx tailcoat fluttered and swayed in a showy fashion every time he moved, as though the wind was dancing around him. His brilliant smile was wide and disarming, which drew in eager buyers by the dozen.

Remi Goldridge's gut wrenched for the hundredth time that evening. She didn't want to see the sad, broken eyes of any more creatures being auctioned off to serve the selfish, perverted desires of pompous dukes and duchesses. Or worse, the fearful, frantic gaze of the ones who hadn't been purchased, and as a result, would soon be slaughtered at the Meat Palace.

Her Aunt Colleen tilted her chin sharply upwards, her sharp nails digging into soft skin. "Look up, and straighten your back."

Reluctantly, Remi did as she was told.

"Our next item is beyond valuable," the auctioneer spoke persuasively, his voice silky smooth. "He hails from the skies above, but is well-accustomed to life down below. Let me introduce you to our one and only Icix!"

The crowd lets out a collective gasp, reeling in surprise. Many leaned back in their plush seats, trying to get as far away as they possibly could without actually getting up off their chairs.

Remi felt her eyes involuntarily widen in surprise. She hadn't expected an Icix to be auctioned off tonight. They were nearly impossible to capture alive, and even harder to tame.

The rich, velvety fabric of the thick, red curtain pulled apart in a sudden whoosh, revealing a terrible, frightening sight. The large, beaming spotlight illuminated a cage with thick, iron bars. Within those bars stood a dreadful creature, and suddenly Remi wished they didn't have a front row seat. She pressed her back up against her chair, wishing she could simply close her eyes and make everything disappear.

Her eyes burned with tears never to be shed as she saw the powerful Icix lounging on the floor of his cage, with his back lazily leaning against the bars. His deep, royal blue eyes didn't hold the same fear as had some of the others before him, but instead were set in resignation.

The Icix didn't bother to hide the gigantic, black wings sprouting from his back, and even flicked his thin, reptilian-esque tail in front of himself, following it with his eyes in what seemed like an attempt to amuse himself.

The eccentric auctioneer smiled at them as though he was entirely at ease while standing next to the cage. "Yes, yes, shocking! An Icix standing in our very midst! Don't be alarmed, he is perfectly placid and will do whatever it is that you ask of him. In fact, his lengthy experience as a gladiator will make him an excellent bodyguard or soldier."

Upon hearing complete and utter silence from the audience, the slightly frazzled auctioneer called out once again to try appeal to the other, more sensual interests of buyers. "After the arena, he was even sold to Madam Lementine, which only makes him more valuable!"

Remi shuddered. She could hardly bear to hear the name of that terrifying woman. And if Madam Lementine even managed to make a creature as powerful as an Icix do her bidding, then that only made her that much more intimidating.

"Ladies and gentleman, open your eyes! This creature is powerful enough to do whatever you want, and broken enough to do so without protest. Perhaps if I dropped the already-low price of this magnificent find, some of you may reconsider?"

If no one bought him, he would be killed soon after the auction, and Remi didn't know whether to feel pity on him or relief. The Icix were rare, but tales were passed down through history of the gruesome horrors they loved to indulge in. Winged men swooping down from the sky and devouring without discrimination. Devastating entire villages, and leaving a bloody trail of carnage in their wake.