Chapter 1

It was unfathomable to hold the belief that few couples never argued or fought

It was unfathomable to hold the belief that few couples never argued or fought. It was a simple fact of life through relationships whether that be platonic or romantic.

And for anyone claiming that they don't, must simply be lying.

I'd experienced it first-hand with my very own parents for months on end during high school, and although I respected the fact that they once fell in love and thought that they would grow old together, they were never really meant for one another in the end. They would both find someone new amongst the countless soulmates I believed that we have in this world, and they would be happy again.

For Josh and I, it was relatively simple.

In trying times when we disagreed on what felt like pertinent ideas at the time, we yelled and fought with our contrasting need to be bitterly right. Our personalities hit heads more times than once, diverging from the very reason that we fell in love in the first place.

We were equally at fault for the discrepancies between us, and yet a resolution could always usually be found, one I would rely on like my last founding breath.

It was a habitual fact we'd both grown used to over the years, assuring ourselves that we were just like any other couple with jealousy and heartache playing a fundamental role in the foundations of our growing relationship.

Even so, that naïvety would still create the cracks I would begin to find between us.

Through the years spent together, we'd managed to emotionally beat each other down with the use of our words and actions, convincing ourselves that our underlying attraction for each other would always reconcile it. We would apologise profusely and claim to never mean the words spoken before, but we always kept it to ourselves that we knew the other was wrong, refusing to believe otherwise.

Our relationship had manifested itself towards the end of high school, notably in senior year before making it through prolonged and tedious journeys to see each other during our college years and to this moment, living in a decent-sized loft apartment together in New York, having followed half of our friends across the country to start a new life together in a new city.

But New York was different to California.

There were differing pressures to being together while living at home with our families and to waking up beside each other every morning. It was something I had myself convinced would be exciting and unchallenging because we were in love, and I trusted that our relationship could and would withstand anything it came up against.

With pushing all of the persistent doubts to the very back of my subconscious mind, I had managed to always remember how much I truly loved Joshua Parker. Despite every disagreement, we were both matched on the adoration and affection that only we knew we could provide. There was no hesitancy in knowing that Josh was my soulmate – the one that counted.