14.

Cedric woke up feeling refreshed and ready for the days events

Cedric woke up feeling refreshed and ready for the days events. The Sleeping Draught had done its job, and he felt energized for the first time in weeks.

As he sat in The Great Hall, the usual spot at the end of the Hufflepuff table, waiting for Alexandrina to come down and meet him.

They sat for an hour at the table usually, and when other students started to file in she would bid him goodbye and go back to her own, giving him funny faces and smiles between the silhouettes of students sitting and standing about.

It was already half past seven and when more and more students started to fill the tables he began to get worried. His own friends had even woken up and when he saw only Fleming and Darcy walk in, Cedric knew something was wrong.

Hogwarts students around him wished him luck as he got up from his table and met the two girls who were walking towards the Slytherins.

"Where are you going Ced?"

"Diggory we need to get you ready!"

Cedric ignored all the remarks coming from his friends and approached Darcy and Fleming making them stop in their tracks.

"Diggory! What a pleasure to see you this morning" Fleming smirked at him, "Don't you have a task to complete or something?"

"Well actually I was wondering-"

"Where dear Alexandrina is right?" Fleming finished for him, and he only nodded eagerly, "She left a note on her bed, here" she fished her pockets trying to find it. "Now if only I could remember where I put it-"

"You bloody idiot, it's in your hood" Darcy snatched the note from Fleming's hood and handed it over to Cedric smiling, "It just says she got permission from Dumbledore to go visit her mum and that she'll be back in time for the Second Task"

Seeing Cedric frown, Fleming spoke up, "We really aren't worried, she's done this before and Alex is always on time"

He saw some of the Slytherins from the table give him a mix of sneering and scared glances, so he decided that he should probably go back to his own peering group.

"Thank you Fleming, and you too Darcy" Cedric gave them a small smile and clutched the unfamiliar letter in his hands, "I'll see you both later then"

"Good luck Cedric!" Darcy wished him watching him walk away, his shoulders up high and his walk graceful.

And a little while after, she heard Fleming contribute, "He's going to need it"

Cedric looked over the unfamiliar handwriting and words, and knew something was wrong, Alexandrina would never say 'unfathomably', and she never dotted her 'i,' but he didn't have time worry. He too knew Alexandrina was too powerful to be in harms way, so he let that thought keep him sane for the rest of the day.

"You may begin at the start of the cannon!" And as Dumbledore spoke, the cannon fired, and Cedric felt his body go numb for the coolness of the water. He quickly spoke his charm, and a bubble appeared over his mouth and nose, allowing him to breathe against his opponent.