A Fixed Work

Visiting hours are a fixed thing but I was allowed to stay overnight. Not because I was some bigshot, but because Mikaela was actually getting better. Chemo was doing her no good and that left the doctor's stumped as to how she was recovering so well. Me, I know it's good old fashioned TLC. Even as a cynic of love, it truly restores the soul and spirit. I suppose it took death staring me in the face to realize the value of human life even if it's for a stranger.

Mikaela's still asleep, facing me. The knock out I was stunned by is unearthing itself once again. Even in her current state, she's still beautiful. Running my thumb across her lips sent a much forgotten sensation through my groin. A smile skid across my face and now I'm wondering about the possibility of marrying again. Sure, it's too soon to be thinking about something so serious, but perhaps she'd have me one day. I can't say I love her but neither can I say I don't want something more in my life. Maybe she's it.

We click on some levels and a few of her choices for entertainment are baffling. Anime, she loves anime and even admitted to me she dressed up as Yoruichi Shihouin! When I told her I had no idea who that was, she googled and found a picture. We went through a marathon of Bleach episodes to get a feel for why she likes anime so much. I felt stupid for watching, but...it grew on me, waiting to see what was on the other side of the cliffhanger.

If that revelation wasn't surprise enough, she was into something called Korean dramas. I can't even begin to get into the history of that, but I found out she's fluent in the language. Mikaela seems to know a great deal about the culture and music. At first sight, one wouldn't think she was so international, as it were.

She likes reading comic books, playing video games, Go Stop, and the craziest thing she's done but never wants to do again is rock climbing. She did it on a dare. She was on a trip in Stanton, Kentucky taking pictures of the scenery when she happened upon some climber's. She introduced herself and asked a couple questions. Somehow, one of the climber's made a remark that black people don't climb. To prove him wrong, she roped up and immediately regretted her decision five knotches up.

While I replayed our conversation, I hadn't noticed she'd opened her eyes. Now she's looking at me like she's caught me with my hand in the cookie jar.

"What?" I ask defensively.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Is there a reason I should not?"

"You barked at me for talking to that guy at the party."

"That's because you shouldn't be talking to him even if he was sniffing around you."

"I'm not a dog."

"Well, we men are hunters. When we see an opportunity, we go in for the kill. I would prefer for you not to get hurt."

"You weren't thinking about my safety."

"No, I was selfishly thinking about myself and not being double crossed."

"Can I ask one more question?"

"Yes."

"When you realized I was an employee, you wanted me gone, right?"

"You're absolutely correct. I saw you as a threat I needed to eliminate."

"I see."

"I still don't understand why you were at my company. I know what your official position was, but from all the secrecy between you and Jack, what you were really doing can't be good."

"What I did was for the advancement of Bourne Inc."

"Are you going to let me in on the secret?"

"Didn't you receive my package? I sent it to the company."

"I wasn't informed of any package."

"I'm sure you weren't. I had to be sure of who all was involved."

"Explain."

"I kept a copy for myself, Jack has one to just in case things went awry. I have my copy right under that stand over there. Before you get up, just know my findings are accurate and I'm sorry it took so long for me to untangle this mess."

I nod then push up to my feet to retrieve a thick black binder. I tuck myself in the chair resting beside the nightstand and open the contents. I leaf through as much as I can take then as calmly as I can exited the room. Heads were going to roll.