Inner Demons*

(T.M.R. November 6th, 1943)

    Finally Saturday had arrived,  with it a thundering storm that chilled the air and caused a gloom to fill the halls of Hogwarts. No one ventured outside in the downpour of rain, and the lightning cracked and filled the halls with a static charge. This was my favorite weather. I had to admit it took me a lot longer to pull myself together after Vienna and I's...little talk earlier in the week, but I refused to allow her words to get to me anymore and finally was able to make plans to open the Chamber tonight. My thoughts drifted to the white haired girl yet again. I hadn't really talked to Vienna since Halloween night, and mostly that was me ignoring the girl. I had seen her in classes though, and as much as I tried to ignore her existence entirely I found myself glancing at her periodically throughout the day. Something was wrong. Tuesday she hadn't shown up to classes at all, and Wednesday she looked as if she hadn't slept in years. Her exhausted look had lasted throughout the rest of the week, and I refused to ask her what was wrong. It made me angry that I even wanted to know, I didn't have time for upset little girls.  

    I was making my way to the first floor girls lavatory, the darkness of night cloaked me, and only the spontaneous cracks of lightning filled the hallways with light. My wand was wrapped tightly in my hand and my stride filled with determination. After all this time, I would finally achieve my purpose as the great Slytherin heir. I quickly entered the lavatory and shut the door behind me quietly. Colloportus. The lock clicked obediently to my non-verbal spell and I smirked at my own magical prowess. I checked each stall diligently for roaming students,  pleased with finding no one, I made my way over to the sinks. I studied the snake on one faucet, and found myself smirking again. The mudbloods would never know what hit them. Standing up straight and taking a step back away from the sink, I took a few steady breaths before releasing a hiss from my mouth. "Open." The snake language slid effortlessly across my lips, and for a moment nothing happened. After a few tense seconds the sinks began to move, spreading away from each other and retreating within the ground, leaving a gaping hole in the lavatory floor. I paced around the hole, before coming to a halt and jumping in. 

    My feet hit the ground, and I stand effortlessly. Lumos. My wand lights up the area around me, throwing light on the bones of the dead mice and rats within the tunnel. I walk down the tunnel, the bones crunching underneath my shoes and my breath beginning to become unsteady in anticipation. I come across a door outlined with great snakes, and take a deep breath again before I command it to open. One by one the heads of the snakes retreat, and the sound of marble against stone fills the air as the great door opens. Immediately my hand covers my nose as the smell of decay fills my nostrils, and I resist the urge to get sick. I enter the Chamber cautiously, and take in the dark green that seems to shine from the walls. Illuminated in front of me is the great Chamber of Secrets, the walkway surrounded by marbled statues of snakes, and the end a giant statue of Salazar Slytherin lies in wait. What is that?  At the end of the walkway, lying in the pool in front of the Great Slytherin, is a mass of some sort. I quickly make my way down the ladder and onto the walkway, and begin steadily walking towards the mass. As I draw nearer, the mass becomes more clear, and I find myself coming to a sudden halt. The Basilisk. My heart seems to stop at the gruesome scene before me. The Great Basilisk is dead, lying in a pool that has filled with it's blood, it's body had already begun decaying and it's killer eyes are closed. From the top of it's head is a deep wound, the wound that killed it. 

    The Chamber is silent as I take in the scene before me, and the realization that my plans had failed begins to consume me. I have failed. An all consuming anger begins to fill my body, and the end of my wand begins to spark dangerously. The Basilisk of Salazar Slytherin is dead, and someone had killed it...recently. Before I could control it the anger swells within me, the air seems to freeze around me, before it explodes with a deafening sound. I roar with uncontrolled rage as the powerful magic releases from me, and the marbled statues of Salazar and the snakes crumble with the force of my rage. The Basilisks body practically dissipates into thin air, and the green light throughout the chamber fades, leaving me surrounded by darkness.