xxiv. SCOTT MCCOCKBLOCK

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOURSCOTT MCCOCKBLOCK

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
SCOTT MCCOCKBLOCK

"I still can't believe you missed your first game," I told Stiles as he steered the jeep in the direction of the school. "You know Finstock isn't going to let you play anymore."

  "I know," Stiles sighed, his grip tightening on the wheel. "But it's fine. I'm used to being on the bench anyways."

  The look of pure sorrow that covered his face made me feel like I had just kicked a puppy or something. I knew that all of this was hard on Stiles. Scott got to go around with all these insane powers, getting off the bench in lacrosse. And he left Stiles back on the bench with nothing else to do but research and watch his best friend move above him on a sort of social scale.

  I knew that Stiles playing today was supposed to be his moment. Even his dad was coming. All Stiles has wanted since we started high school was to be first line. And he was granted that, even if it was only probationary. But then Scott kind of ruined it. I mean, it wasn't like he asked us to go to the hospital or anything. It was indirectly his fault. Actually, you know what?

  It was Peter's fault. If he hadn't bitten Scott that damn night, everything would be normal and my boyfriend wouldn't be moping in the seat next to me.

  He stopped the jeep in the parking lot, where everyone was leaving the game. We missed it entirely.

  "Stiles," I began easily as he began getting out. "We can always tell him tomorrow if you're not up to it."

  "I'm fine," he said, his voice not sounding all too enthusiastic.

  I grabbed his arm. "Stiles freaking Stilinski. You are clearly not fine. I know you like the back of my hand and this is not the Stiles Stilinski I know. Seriously, I—"

  "It's just that my dad is going to be so disappointed," he cut in, letting go of the door handle.

  I gave him a weak smile. "Stiles...he'll understand."

  "No, literally. All I do is screw up. And the one time I have a chance to make him actually proud of me, I mess up."

  "Stiles, don't you think for a second your dad's not proud of you," I told him gently. "He loves you more than anything in this entire world. He'll understand if you explain."

  Stiles didn't respond and his smile didn't seem to reach his eyes. "We have to go talk to Scott."

  "Fine," I groaned, getting out of the jeep. I quickly dodged people from the game, making my way over to Stiles. I slipped my hand into his and stood on my tiptoes. "If it's any consolation, you would have kicked ass out there, babe."