Twenty One: Amazing

How could she tell Oikawa about it?

"Well...", she started slowly. "You've been quite famous among girls, I bet you know this", she said.

Oikawa nodded.

[Name] gulped before continuing.

"So, of course I knew about you. You know, like, who you are, and how amazing player you are", she moved her eyes on the side. "And I came to your practice a couple of times", she confessed.

The boy raised his eyebrows in surprise, but he remained silent. He didn't remember seeing [Name] on the seats.

"That is, I came because of Kageyama-kun", she explained quickly.

This time Oikawa couldn't resist cutting in.

"You were friends with Tobio-chan?", he widened his eyes, shocked.

"Tobio-chan?", the girl repeated in confusion. Why would Oikawa call him that? "I don't know, I guess we were something like friends", she replied. "We were in the same class in our first year. When we had our biology project we were randomly divided into pairs and we happened to be together. We both weren't particularly good with people so it was awkward at first but later on we caught contact with each other, and he invited me to see the practice", here, a moment of silence followed.

And then I saw you, she thought to herself.

Being friends with Kageyama was a good excuse for coming to practices and watching Oikawa. Of course, they both were amazing as setters, but something in Oikawa was different than in his kouhai. She didn't know why, but observing the boy was hypnotising for her.

"I can't believe Tobio managed to befriend someone...", Oikawa was still in shock.

"We don't talk anymore, either way", [Name] said with an awry smile.

The boy turned to her with a questioning look on his face.

"Why?", he asked.

A light blush flew onto the girl's face.

"In the middle of our first year he confessed to me", she mumbled under her breath, avoiding Oikawa's gaze.

The boy nearly choked.

"What?", he exclaimed in disbelief. "Are we talking about the same person?"

"I was also surprised", [Name] whispered.

"And what did you say to him?", Oikawa inquired.

"I didn't feel the same so I rejected him", the girl answered but her voice could easily tell that she was still feeling bad with the fact that she had to hurt someone.

It somehow made Oikawa weak.

For some reason, even though he didn't like Kageyama, he felt sorry for him. Being rejected by such a great girl had to be really painful. Oikawa's heart clenched at this vision.

The boy looked at [Name]. Seeing her gloomy face, he decided to change the subject.

"Your turn", he announced with a smile.

The girl looked up in surprise as if she had already forgotten that they were playing a game.

What should she ask about? There were many things she wanted to know. But one of them was bugging her since yesterday.

"Who is Mizuki?", she coughed up.

Oikawa widened his eyes, hearing his ex-girlfriend's name.

"How do you know about her?", he asked.

"Yesterday those girls told me that you broke up a month ago. What was the reason?", [Name] replied calmly.

Oikawa sighed.

"She said I shouldn't spend so much time playing volleyball", he said. "So I said that if it was a problem for her then we should break up. And we did", he explained. "It's not like I was depressed after it, though".

"Let me guess, she was your fangirl?", [Name] asked.

"Yes, she was", the boy replied.

"So it was a fling rather than something serious?", she inquired.

"I guess I've never had anything serious. Girls don't understand how important the volleyball is to me", he said. "That's why I think you're special", he suddenly looked up at [Name] whose cheeks turned red. "You're the only girl who knows what volleyball means to me".

The girl turned her head to the side to hide the wave of heat which flew on her face.

Oikawa smiled to himself, fully aware of her embarrassment.

Another question popped in his mind. He moved closer to the girl and said above her shoulder:

"My turn. How did you like the kiss?"