Chapter Four

I stared at him, confusion evident in my eyes. Why was he telling me this?

Maybe, you're his mate. 

I quickly pushed the thought aside in my head. Everyone knew that werewolves never mated humans. My dad told me, Brett told me, Luca told me – and he was a werewolf. He obviously knew.

My confusion quickly turned to anger. "Why would you take me home last night? Were you planning to sleep in the same bed as me even when you knew who your mate was? If I didn't tell you not to sleep with me, what else would you have done?" I stalked closer and closer to him, hands on my hips and gave him a hard glare.

When Luca told me about mates, he made it seem like they were your world; that no matter what they did, you were still attracted to every part of their being; that you were always with them. He told me how possessive wolves were about their mates and that if a wolf found his or her mate with another they would go crazy.

"I thought higher of you beasts. I thought you actually respected your mates enough to not bring home another girl."

I watched as his eyes turned to a darker gold. "We would never bring home another girl! We respect our mate."

"Clearly, you don't. If you respected your mate, I wouldn't be here."

"You are our-" he began, but his eyes flickered back and forth between gold and green and eventually settled back to a deep green color. "You are..." he began once more as he took a deep breath. "...right. I don't care about her."

I crossed my arms and smirked at him. I knew it.

"Why?" 

His eyes went completely blank and he stared right through me.

"She's weak. She could never be the Luna to my pack." I stared wide eyed at him, in disbelief that he spoke so lowly of his mate. "Listen. I don't want to talk any more about her. We will never be together and that's fine by me." His jaw clenched as he looked towards the door, avoiding eye contact with me.

I stared at him in disgust. This man is nothing like Luca had described. Luca was rejected by his mate, but he still loved her. This guy wanted nothing to do with his.

"Let's go. I'm going to bring you home."

I glared at him and grabbed my things walking out the door. I waited for him to follow because I would surely get lost in this house.

Thankfully, we didn't run into anybody as we walked to the car. I didn't want people to think I slept with someone like him.

I watched as we drove off of pack grounds and pulled onto the empty roadway. "Now, don't be a brat this time and tell me where you live." I gave him a side glare and rolled my eyes. I told him my address and he began driving there. The car ride was silent and I was thankful for that. I don't know what I would say to him.

We passed through a forest of trees and rays of sunlight peeked through them, signaling that the sun was rising. I rubbed my eyes over my hands, wanting to crawl back into bed and forget about this whole thing.

"What's your name?" I heard from my side. I was slightly shocked that he wanted to know. I looked over at him and he glanced towards me.

"Mae," I stated.

"I'm Damon." I glared at the side of his face – his perfect face.

"I don't care."

"What?" He asked with anger in his voice. "You don't care?" His hand gripped the steering wheel and I watched his eyes flicker to gold.