An Impossible Offer

"It will give you your powers back!" Ethel held out the Founding Stone, looking at Esmerelda imploringly. "You have to take it. I figured out all the spells, I can do all the magic. You just have to hold it and do what I say." Esmerelda stared at her, both shocked and touched that her sister would do this for her. If she was being honest with herself, she was tempted to take the stone, but only for a split second before she caught herself.

    "Ethie, I can't. I'm sorry, but I can't. That is the Founding Stone of the school. If I used that, I could hurt a lot of people. I appreciate the thought, I really do, but..."

    "Esme, please. I don't care about that. I just want you back here, with me. Everyone else can take care of themselves. They have magic. You don't. Well, not yet. But you will. And then you will be back, and everything will be back to normal. Please!" Ethel looked desperate. Esme wondered what could have happened while she was gone to make Ethel miss her so much. She looked down at Ethel and took the stone from her, gingerly setting it on the bookcase beside her. She reached out and grabbed Ethie's arms, pulling the small girl close. Ethel wrapped her arms around her sister's stomach tightly, and Esmerelda placed her arms tenderly around the girl's shoulders. She looked down at her blond hair, amazed at how quickly the strong-minded, fire-driven girl had turned into the small, worried twelve year old that Esme knew so well. Esmerelda ran her fingers through the girl's hair, holding her tightly against her chest. There was silence for a while, as both of the girls tried to hold back tears.

    "Oh Ethel. Oh, oh dear. I really do wish I could come back. I miss you so much. But I can't. I am not going to stoop to Agatha's level to get my powers back. And neither, I hope, are you. We have to show them that we are bigger than that. I made my mistakes, and now I am paying for it."

    "But they aren't your mistakes! It was my fault! I knew it was Agatha. You gave up your powers in my place. It's not your fault! I should be the one kicked out of school, not you. I... I betrayed you. I betrayed the school." Ethel was looking at her sister, holding Esme's hands tightly in hers. She started to say something, but then the tears began to fall and she buried her head in her sister's shirt. Esmerelda wrapped her arms around Ethel and gently rested her chin on the shaking girl's head.

    "Ethel. You can't blame yourself. You were blinded by Agatha, tricked. I was stupid, giving up my powers. I should have seen, should have known... It's not important. Thank you. I appreciate the thought. I should go home. And you should get back to sleep." Esmerelda grabbed her sister's shoulders and looked into her eyes. "I'll take care of the Founding Stone. Don't worry, nobody will know what you did. I promise." She ran her fingers through Ethel's hair, looking lovingly down on her.

    "Oh, ok. Thanks Esme. I..." She wiped away her tears and pulled gently away from Esme. "I'm really, really sorry." She turned away. Esmerelda looked sadly after her, then turned back to the Founding Stone, covering it with her cloak and looked back at Ethel. Ethel turned back to her and smiled weakly "Hey, Esme?"

    "Yeah?" she asked, smiling back at her.

    "I love you." Ethel's voice broke.

    "I love you too Ethie." Esmerelda replied, and for the first time, she smiled. A real, true smile that reached all the way to her eyes. Her gaze rested on Ethel for a minute, then she opened the door and turned back just before she left."You are going to be fine. I know it. But remember, if you ever need something, mirror me anytime. I'll always be here for you." Ethel nodded and smiled. Esmerelda closed the door behind her, sighing. She was sure that Ethel would be fine without her. She just wasn't so sure that she would be fine without Ethel.