A Good Idea

The records were huge, dusty old books on rickety bookshelves. The girls had spread out, each of them pouring over old texts, Sybil regularly asking Esmerelda questions about various words and Mildred was enthralled in a textbook of Witch History. They could hear the commotion upstairs, but as dusk grew nearer, their pace quickened. After several hours, Ethel cried,

"Esme! Come here! Miss Cackle. I think I found something!" Within seconds the seven girls were crowded around one book. Ethel read aloud, "The Founding Stone. An object used to uphold a building's magical presence and power. Among other things, the stone can be used to tranfer magic from one witch or wizard to another." she looked at Esme. "If we can't remove Agatha's powers, maybe we can use the stone to transfer them. Two birds with one stone! We can get Esme's magic back and stop Agatha!" Her voice rose with each word.

"Ethie, I don't think that would work. We don't even know how to use the stone" Esmerelda replied

"No. Wait a second. She might be onto something. Now don't get your hopes up, but it's the best plan we have. It's almost dusk." said Miss Cackle. "Bring the book. Let's go." she waved her hand and the girls appeared in the Great Hall.

The Great Hall was filled with teachers, wizards, and witches from all around. The all looked grim, and some of them failed to hide their worry. Miss Cackle cleared her throat.

"Attention. These girls and I have been scouring the records. Apparently, if used correctly, the Founding Stone can be used to transfer powers. If we can get our hands on the stone, we can return Esmerelda's powers to her and Agatha will be powerless once more. Since we cannot remove Agatha's powers directly, this is a good option. The only problem is we have no idea how to use the stone, nor do we have any way to get the stone from Agatha." she looked at the Great Wizard. He looked at her sadly. He had no idea how to use the stone either. From the corner, Miss Batt piped up.

"If I can get to the stone, I can try a few spells. There are a few chants that are rumored to be able to transfer magic, but I have never seen them used before."

"Well, we will get the stone and you can do your stuff. We just have to hope it works. It is our last hope." Miss Cackle said. She turned to the girls. "You guys have been immensely helpful, but you should go to my office. It will you safer."

"No Miss Cackle. We can help. We have to draw Agatha here and get the stone from her. The more people the better." Enid replied, and the other girls nodded, even Maud and Esmerelda.

"Alright. Stay with Miss Hardbroom. Whatever you do, do not leave her." Miss Cackle said, and the girls nodded once more. Suddenly, a witch appeared out of nowhere.

"The sun is setting." she announced. This was met by hushed whispers and determined faces. The girls gave each other nervous looks. Esmerelda squeezed Sybil's hand. Miss Cackle took a deep breath and transferred to the courtyard. The other adults followed suit and the students rushed outside. Everyone was looking nervously around, when someone gasped and pointed into the woods. Agatha appeared from the darkness and approached her sister.

"So? I see you have organized an army. You are foolish if you think you can defeat me with this." she pulled the Founding Stone out of her cloak. Everyone watched it closely.
    "Our magic is no match to yours, Agatha." Miss Cackle replied calmly.

"And yet you come at me with everything you have. Including Hallows I see. And Mildred Hallow and her friends." she was looking at the younger witches now. Esmerelda put her arm around Sybil and pulled her behind her. Maud gulped and Ethel took a deep breath, but all the girls kept a straight face and stood their ground. Miss Cackle smiled for a second, warm with pride in her girls.