12

Hearts Like Ours - The Naked and Famous

ISABELLA

A loud boom crashes from the other room causing me to jolt awake. My eyes adjust to the harsh sunlight that slips through the cracks of my blinds. I tug my blankets off of my body, the cold air hitting my skin causing a layer of goosebumps to emerge. 

Quickly, I jump out of bed and rush out my bedroom door. In the living room, sprawled out on the floor, limbs and blankets in a jumbled out mess, laid Harry. The glass bowl that was sitting atop the coffee table was now on the ground. Thankfully not shattered. I stifle a laugh as I watch Harry rub his arm, groaning in pain. "Fuck," he grumbles half awake. 

"Are you okay?" I bite down on my lip, holding back the small giggles that fight to escape. 

"Your couch is too fucking small." He grumbles. "And my head hurts like a bitch." He stumbles up onto his feet, the blanket slipping from his waist exposing Harry's half naked body. I quickly avert my eyes from his toned stomach and seemingly prominent morning bulge. I quickly bring my legs together, tightening my thighs close together. I quickly turn around and walk over to the bathroom. 

Once I get to the bathroom, I grab two Advil and then fill a small glass with water. Harry managed to shift his body from the floor and back on the couch. His legs are now clad in his tight jeans but his torso is still bare. I am distracted by the large butterfly that is painted on his torso. "Spread your wings and prepare to fly, for you will become a butterfly." I sing terribly as I walk over to him. 

Harry looks at me with an unamused expression. "Are you really singing Mariah Carey to me right now." He is fighting the grin that wants to kiss his lips. His brows is quirked up and his right hand is fisting through his curls. 

"You have a butterfly tattooed to your body. How could I not? I'm more impressed that you knew it was Mariah."

"When I first got it done, my girlfriend would sing it all the time. Ex-girlfriend." 

"Annoyed you so much that you broke up with her?" I chuckled lightly. 

"No." He says, his eyes shifting around the room. He drops the conversation, letting it die after that. I hand Harry the medication and water. He gratefully takes it from my hands and swallows the pills down quickly. "Thanks." I nod shyly, feeling slightly uncomfortable being so close to him. I bend down slightly and pick up his t-shirt, passing it to him. 

"Don't like seeing me half naked?" He winks. 

"I'd prefer to see you fully clothed." 

"Your loss." He pulls the shirt over his head, leaving his curls a more unruly mess. I fight the urge to run my fingers through his hair. Get a grip, Iz.

"Do you want some breakfast?" I ask, getting up and walking over to the kitchen. My hand grasps the handle of the fridge, opening it up slowly. I look over at Harry to see that he has now sat at the counter. I give him a small smile and turn my head back at the fridge. 

Inside are three water bottles, a half full bottle of red wine, a block of cheese and take out boxes of pizza, chinese, and Thai. "Well this is embarrassing," I shut the fridge and try the cupboards. A half empty box of Poptarts (that Nat thankfully mailed over) and some saltine crackers are all that sit on the shelf. "We don't really eat at home," I quickly explain. 

Harry's lips are pursed and his brow is furrowed. He suddenly begins to laugh and shake his head. "You don't say." 

"Have you been to Brerin's?" 

His expression remains confused, "What the fuck is a Brerin?" 

I can't help but giggle a little. "It's this fantastic diner down the street. Jaz and I are usually there four times a day. Their pancakes are the best and you can't find coffee anywhere that can even compete to theirs." 

Harry looks at me skeptically. "Won't your boyfriend mind?" He scoffs slightly.

"If you want to be my friend, you will eat breakfast with me. Friends can go to breakfast together, you know. Without it looking weird." I comment. There was nothing strange about to friends going to get breakfast. Granted, it is already borderline sketchy seeing that Harry slept over last night drunk. But nothing happened. In which case, I don't think going for a friendly meal together is completely out of the question. 

You just want to spend more time with him. My subconscious remarks.  She has a knowing look on her face, but I quickly dismiss her. I was seeing Chase. Nothing was going to happen with Harry. Then why did he come to you of all people last night? Because we are friends, dummy. 

"Izzy?" Harry's voice breaks me out of my debate with my subconscious. 

My cheeks blush. I look up at him bashfully and shake my head. "Sorry," I laugh. "Let's go." 

"Don't you want to maybe change? I mean I don't mind you in these shorts. But like I said, I don't think your boyfriend will like too much that you are going out in those. Especially with me," Harry smirks as his eyes linger on my legs. 

Self-consciously, I turn cross my legs. "I'll be right back," I turn around and quickly rush over to my bedroom to change. 

After a few minutes, I am dressed and appropriate. I walk back into the living room. Harry is already dressed back in his jacket and his shoes are on his feet. His messy curls are pulled back by his beanie. He has a small smirk plastered on his face as he looks me up and down. "Much better," he winks. I roll my eyes at him before I grab my bag and shoes. 

"Let's go already." I lead Harry out of the apartment, making sure that the door is locked. 

The breakfast rush had invaded Brerin's. Harry and I awkwardly stand to the side of the glass door, watching an elderly couple finish their coffee. "When they get up we sit, got it?" I instruct. "You have to be like vaulters here during the breakfast rush. If you don't, then you'll have to wait forever for a seat." 

"Why don't we sit at the counter then?" Harry asks me, the green in his eyes dancing with amusement. 

"Nobody sits at the counter during breakfast."

"Exactly." 

"The bar is where I usually go for lunch if I'm off work, or dinner after work. It probably sounds stupid, but I love the rush of fighting someone for a table in the morning." I realized how silly that sounded. He was right. There were two, perfectly empty, chairs at the front counter. We could have easily sat there and be eating our breakfast by now. Yet here we were, hovering over two old people, waiting to grab their seats. The more I thought about it, the sillier it all began to seem. "We can go sit there," I say my voice sounding defeated. 

Before I walk over to the counter, Harry pulls my arm, bringing me back to him. I can't help but notice the rush that flows through me at the mere contact between his hand and my arm. The warmth of his hand sending a shock right through me. "The table is fine." He says as he brings me back to his side. 

"No, you're right. We could have had our food by now. It's silly to just wait. Let's just go." 

"You are staying right here." He demands playfully. "We are going to stand here and wait for this damn table. I don't care how long it takes. We are going to get this damn table." He grins at me. Butterflies erupt inside of me. 

"Thanks Harry."

"It's what friends do, Isabella. We're friends now. Remember?" He sends me a cheeky smile. His hand releases my arm, bringing his own to scratch the back of his neck. 

"Right, friends." I return his smile and look over at the table we've been waiting at for the past fifteen minutes. 

Finally, the couple stand up from their seats. Harry pushes to me the side slightly, eying the table. He rushes over to the chair, stealing it from a group of teens who were making their way over to it. "Don't even think about it, mate." He glares at the poor fourteen year old boy. 

"Right, sorry." His voice shakes, turning around from the table and leading his friends to the counter. 

"What was that?" I laugh as I sit down across from him. 

"The little fucker was going to steal our table." He stated as if it was obvious. "You were right though. That was fun." 

"Told you so!" I say with a big grin, happy to be sat here with Harry.