Prologue

I have always known I was different from my family. I didn't have my mom's beautiful green eyes, or my dad's brunette hair, or share their last name. I've never really questioned it though when I was young because I just didn't really care.

    Until I got older and my friends always reminding me how I don't look like my mom or dad. I asked them before but they diverted the question thinking I was just unhappy. The situation got worse when my mom got pregnant with twin boys. All the love in there eyes for their newborn babies who had my mom's eyes and my dad's hair. Why was I so different?

   After a while with the twins growing up, I started to keep asking my family who I was. They started to get mad saying how I should just be grateful with a roof over my head and food on my plate. I dropped the subject because I felt so guilty and alone. No one got me and my family wouldn't help. I started to take dance classes because then I could talk through music and express myself without anyone getting mad. I asked my family if they would put me on a dance team but they were quick to say no because dancing is a waste of time and won't mount to anything when I get older.

    As years go by, my parents were head over heels for my brothers. They could do no wrong and were perfect at everything they did. But they never noticed me. I've tried everything but they didn't care. I would cry at night because I was alone.

    School was the worst though because I was being bullied everyday. People saying I'm probably a bastard child no one wanted. Or that I'm too dumb since every college I've applied to wait listed me or flat out denied me. I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted to just be accepted. Was that too much to ask for?

    I was in my dad's study trying to find an alternative route for me. Until I saw on his homepage a file for Miya Wang. Being the curious girl I am, I clicked the file that answered every question I ever had when I was little.

"I'm adopted from Hong Kong. My family had a son and I was unplanned. They couldn't keep me because they couldn't financially afford another baby. I was left at the hospital....with a letter?"

    I opened the letter but couldn't read it because it was in Chinese. I put it through Google translate to see if it would work.

    "My dear daughter,
Please understand that we wanted you to have the life we couldn't provide for you. We love you. Please know that much. We couldn't afford to feed two babies and you were such a surprise and a gift to us but can't keep. The hospital will keep you healthy and find you a family that is more deserving." I stopped to roll my eyes.

    "We will understand if you don't wish to know us but if you do...Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong.".

    I sat there baffled. I have another family out there? Why didn't my mom and dad tell me? This just brought up more questions and only my parents can answer.