Chapter {1}

Zoned out, that is what kept happening to Clarissa. She kept zoning out. Meaning, she could be somewhere physically but mentally she would check-out.
It was now about six months since she and Jacob separated and still, all she could think about was him. She should be moving on, but she felt as if she stopped living, and was just breathing if that made sense. The whole demise of their marriage might have been her doing.

After the night he got drunk and exploded, everything changed. She had never realized her behavior up until then but she was too angry to admit her wrongs. Instead, she ended their marriage but the even sadder part was that he didn't try, not even once, to get her back.
He apologized profusely for hurting her but, didn't once say, if you give me another chance, not once. She longed for those words from him. She wanted him to tell her how much he misses her, and how much he needed her.

A shiver passes through her. That dreadful night that turned her world inside out. Finding out that he was cheating and then getting that picture from Regina. Her stomach churned just thinking about it but, she kept thinking about it, over and over again, virtually obsessed. So many mistakes she made that she couldn't get over. She even replayed moments between them in her mind and changed the way she reacted.
There were so many times she unintentionally pushed him away. She might have gotten too secure and got too comfortable. The way he treated her and looked at her, she didn't doubt that he loved her, but she can't say he felt the same from her.

At this moment, it was 8:35 in the morning, she was sitting in the driver's seat of her car parked in her driveway. She put the kids in their buses for school and had been debating whether or not to meet with Jacob. The days were getting more and more unbearable to live without him.

All she felt all day was agony, but she's been putting on this tough persona. She pretended to be angry to hide the pain. When he came to pick up the kids she never met with him. She let the kids out and closed the door. It was torture even seeing him. She became like a mole woman hiding from sunlight.

Maybe today will be the day to end the pain. Maybe instead of waiting for him to fight for her, she needed to fight for him. She didn't care that her hair was a mess and she had on baggy sweats and an oversized sweatshirt. She starts her journey to his office.

She arrives at the ginormous warehouse and parks the car.
On the main office doors, it said, Kent Shipping and Storage. The successful business they started together. She was still a 50% owner but didn't have any involvement anymore. She remembers long exhausting nights and sometimes having to be a single mother because he was so busy. It was one of the toughest times but it was all worth it.
They wanted a bright future for their children.

"Hey, Mrs. Kent." The receptionist at the front desk. "Wow, it's been so long. How are the kids?"

Clarissa remembers her too. Her name is Becky and she was a talker. A real people person. Perfect for her position. Before she could answer Becky kept going.

"Mr. Kent just came out of an early morning meeting. He's in his office now I'm sure. You can go right in."

Clarissa just nods and smiles. Today could be a new day. She could wake up in her husband's arms tomorrow morning, better yet, she could fall asleep in his arms tonight. The kids would be so happy to have both their parents together again. Alyssa especially who has been the most upset.

When she gets to his office door she could see him through the glass windows. His handsome face, green eyes, and straight nose. His sandy brown short hair and broad mouth. He was dress business-like as usual, with a black suit and tie. He only wore two colors. Blue or black and always with a collared shirt. He was very particular about the way he presents himself. He shaved every morning and always ironed his clothes himself; even if they didn't need to be. Cleanliness and good hygiene were two important things to him.