49. Walking on broken glass

ROZIE'S POV

Heartbreak, how do you even define it?

According to the dictionary, it's a strong feeling of sadness and disappointment. It could also mean crushing grief, anguish, or distress. You could search all available definitions but they would all boil down to one. Pain.

Sleep has not paid me a visit the entire night. I didn't think I needed it anyways. With all these thoughts in my head, I would end up seeing the entire thing in my dreams. A nightmare this all was. A nightmare I don't even know when I'd wake up from.

I stared blankly at the used tissues scattered all over my bed. My eyes hurt from all the crying. I can't believe I could cry this much in my life. Tears fell from my eyes like there's no tomorrow. Tomorrow has come and still, they're falling.

Sunlight was trying to make me get off my bed and put my curtains aside. Its rays were flowing through the dark drapes as it tries to illuminate itself into my room. My eyes drifted to the person standing beside my window.

Him.

As I blink the tears away, his face clearly came into view. His eyes were fixed on mine. I remember too well the first time I laid my eyes on them.

FLASHBACK

"Excuse me, sir, I don't mean to interrupt but I think this may be yours."

He looked taken aback as I suddenly showed up beside him.

"Suga?" Says the name on the cup.

I thought it was a very weird name for a guy like him. But the name just suited him right indeed. He was sweet just like the gummy smile he was flashing on me when he laughed at the silly things I said. I didn't realize that name was gonna be this significant in my life.

"I'll see you tomorrow,"  I recall him saying. He offered himself to tour me around and I excitedly looked forward to it.

"Right."

When he took my hand in both of his, it sparked something in me. It was the start of the whirlwind romance I was gonna be a part of.

"But for us, we only have today."

He said when he tried to stop me from leaving. I should have said no. I should have resisted him but something about him made me so vulnerable that refusing him was just impossible. Who knew that a two-letter word could send chills down my spine? Who knew we could actually be the word itself?

"Let's go then.." I didn't know where he was going to take me. He was a stranger to me. I didn't even know his real name but the warmth of his hand in mine secured me. Until then, I didn't care where else we'd go, as long as he's with me.

"What are you still doing there?? Let's go!"

"But isn't this illegal?"

"Just hop in. Come on!"

"Ya!" I could still remember the look on the man's face as we drove away. That moment always puts a smile on my face when I go back in time.

"Stop worrying okay. He's not gonna report us to anyone, believe me."

"How could you be so sure? The guy just lost a scooter!"

"Hahaha. He's my brother."

"Seriously??"

"Yes." He said. I felt his breath on my cheeks. It was too close. Since then, I can't seem to pull myself away from him.