Chapter 38 - Call Me Carson Jones

After I finish my goodbyes with Aiden, Axel, and the rest of the crew, Carson tries to all but drag me to his car.

If Michael's glares weren't enough of a reason to decline, I actually need to talk to Michael about something before we get home, so I stop Carson as gently as possible. "I'm gonna go with my brother," I say.

"Why?" Carson asks, still not letting me go.

"It doesn't really matter either way." I tell him. "It's a short trip."

"Exactly, so there's no problem riding with me," he grins.

I shake my head. "Michael wants me to ride with him."

He nods after a while, letting me go. "Okay. Then I'll see you there I guess." He doesn't waste any time walking away from me, towards the sleek red car in the driveway. It's a mixture between a deep burgundy and firetruck red, and when the light hits it at just the right angle, it looks like it's burning.

His jacket gives off the same heat, but it's for a different reason as he stalks away.

"That temper," Michael mutters before hopping into his car. "Come on, Mia."

I sigh and walk around towards the passenger's side. Before I lower myself in, I call out to Carson. "Hey."

He's about to get into his own car, but he stops to look at me. "Yeah?"

I risk a smile. "We've got the whole afternoon, you know?"

He hesitates then shrugs. "Yeah, I guess... Minus the car ride."

Omg.

He smirks before getting in his car. With that, he's off.

If I thought Michael sped.

"Show off," Michael mutters as I get in. Then he whips out of the driveway. "That's exactly why you're driving with me and not him. That kind of guy'll get you killed. Remember that."

I hold onto my seatbelt for dear life. I'm not so sure Carson's the one I need to be worried about right now.

As we pass houses, steets, sidewalks, I think of the reason why I needed to be alone with Michael in the first place. I sigh, tightening my grip on the seatbelt.

"What's wrong?" he asks. "Are you alright?"

I brace myself. "I'm just gonna say this now so there's no confusion... Don't bring the heart thing up with Mom and Dad."

He gives me an incredulous look. "Sure." He chuckles a bit. "Yeah right."

"I'm serious, Michael." I turn towards him. "It's my business, so I'll tell them."

"When?" he shoots out, all humor gone.

I think about that for a second. "This month."

"No."

"Within the next two weeks. They're busy with work," I say.

"No."

"Fine. This week." I slump against the back of the chair, defeated.

"No," he says again.

What? "When do you expect me to do it?" I ask.

"By tomorrow," he says, making a left turn.

"Tomorrow?" He's gotta be kidding me.

"I'd say tonight, but I get that with your boyfriend here, that might not be the best conversation to have on top of what's about to go down so..." He nods. "I'll give you a day. You're welcome."