Prologue

• Dedicated to mhizz chata boss

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.(C)T'AFARI STEEDE 2012

NO PART OF THIS PUBLICATION MAY BE COPIED, STORED IN A RETRIEVAL SYSTEM, PHOTOCOPIED, RE-PRINTED, PRINTED, FORMATTED, STORED, EDITED, REPRODUCED, OR REPLACED BY ANY MEANS ELECTRONIC OR MECHANICAL WITHOUT PRIOR AND SOLE CONSENT FROM THE AUTHOR.

T'AFARI

Book I of Guardian Angels Trilogy

(revised edition 2016)

*Bajan nation language used slightly. I'm from the Caribbean and in Barbados we speak a variation of English known as Bajan. It will be largely understandable to English speakers but don't worry I will post a glossary of terms at the bottom of each chapter. Thank-you for reading and please comment!

Guardian Angel-wolf

Prologue

      Fingers tapping the steering wheel, Peyton stared straight ahead.

     Shadows lingered on her exposed thighs, brown against the black leather seat. She eyed the lazy procession of vehicles, gaze wilting like the palm trees lining either side of the busy downtown street. She was still in the blue and white of her school uniform and was eager to get out of it. 

  The traffic lights had been stuck on red for the past century and a half. Ears perked she anticipated the vibration of her phone. Mum would be calling in one...two...and three....

I wish they would trust me more.

 She glanced to the right just in time to see a buildup of clouds.

Frowning she rolled her windows up and turned on the air conditioning. Her shoulders sagged when her phone remained silent in the passenger seat, tension deteriorating. Then-

buzzzzz.

"Fuck," she muttered, swiping across the screen. 

She exhaled-it wasn't mum after all.

"Hey Mattew, what's up?"

"You on de road? Lemme call back."

"No-it's okay, what happen?"

She jerked the car forward as the lights flashed green. 

This wasn't totally illegal-

"We still going on de summer trip thing from Geo? 

Application deadline is like, tomorrow, B."

"You going?" he asked, voice fuzzy. 

  She wasn't  focusing on him, but on avoiding the upcoming vehicles just before Husband's avenue. The glow of mid-evening sun cast halos over the sleek vehicles. Silver sedans sparkled; Toyotas looked like Jaguars. Glancing to her left she watched the steady rising of grey clouds and frowned.

"Going where?" she prompted, attention still on the road.

"The summer camp at Deregu Falls..." he trailed off. 

Summer...camp...forest...she stifled a giggle. She vaguely remembered her gaze traversing past that notice in her school email.

"Matt? You serious?? " She asked, barely swerving past  a van on the wrong side of the road.

Matt groaned on the other line.

" At least think 'bout it, could be fun...one, no helicopter parents; we going to be alone in a mysterious forest with just, like nature and wild animals-studying rock formations and atmospheric conditions-"