Dying Isn't The Most Fun When You're In Love

(Carl POV)

Maggie found Ally leaning against the table, blood everywhere, as soon as she walked into the prison. Her and Glenn had to carry Ally back to the 'Emergency Care' cell, as Ally likes to call it, and she wasn't breathing.

From what I overheard, Maggie had performed CPR as Glenn got Hershel. They're still in there; Ally, Hershel and Beth. No one will tell me what's happening and I really want to know, but I don't want to get in the way.

I just want Ally to be okay.

Daryl is sitting at the table, staring off into space, gazing at the floor. He's scared and nervous. And I can't blame him. What will Ally think? She was so upset when he left... I don't know if she'll either hug him or slap him.

If she lives through this...

I mentally slap myself for even thinking that. Merle, Daryl's dumbass brother, his leaning against the wall, arms crossed over his chest. He disgusts me and I don't want him here. But Daryl does. And Ally wants Daryl here.

So, I have to deal.

The group is trying to decide what to do with him as Daryl and I remain silent, me sitting on the floor across the room. Daryl and Merle had come back and saved my dad from getting eaten by two walkers.

"Daryl!" Maggie yelling brought both Daryl and I back to reality from our daydreams. I watched the scene play out as Maggie stood in front of Daryl, arms crossed, looking pissed as hell. He stares up at her, not saying a word. "You left! She could have died! She wasn't even supposed to be in that guard tower in the first place!"

I haven't really noticed the strong relationship that Maggie and Ally shared up until right now. "It's not my fault." Daryl argues. "I thought she was better off without me."

"Look at her!" Maggie yells. "You think this is better?!"

Daryl shakes his head, tears welling up in his eyes. Maggie takes a deep breath, knowing she's gone a bit too far. She sits down next to Daryl and they sit in silence. When they start talking again, it's too soft for me to hear. So I stand up and head for my cell.

On my way, I sneak a peek into the Emergency Care cell. Hershel and Beth are hovering over Ally, blood on their hands. I feel my face flush as a lump forms in my throat and tears threaten to fall out of the corner of my eyes.

I guess I'm standing there for a long time, staring, because just then an arm wraps around my shoulders. I look up to see Dad who is watching the devastating scene unfold along with me. "She's gonna be okay." He says, not looking at me, so I look away too. I nod, not convinced whatsoever.

"I promise." He says before slowly leaving me to myself to grieve Ally's situation, all by myself.

Promise? Is that even a thing anymore?

~~~
(Beth POV)

Maggie and Glenn laid Ally on the bed as I came running in, Daddy behind me. "She wasn't breathing." Maggie tells our father. "I did CPR."

"Take off her shirt." Daddy instructs, limping towards the broken girl on the bed.

Glenn finds the bruising on her stomach and the bandages on her arms and gasps. "Hershel..."

"I know." He responds. "That was a while ago, we're not worrying about that right now." He quickly responds.

I feel so horrible for Ally. She told me about those scars... But not only is the one thing she wanted to keep a secret gone, she might die.