1 | A New Beginning From an End

Almost 2.5 months later...

Semaj's POV

I stared down at the math book in front of me. Where was Michael when I needed him? I bit the side of my pencil and pressed the home button on my phone. It was just a blank screen: no text messages or missed calls. I was a little too hopeful thinking that Michael would've texted me by now, but it was only a little pass 2:30 p.m., I needed to be a little more patient. I turned back to the math book and read back over the instructions and started to work through an example problem, when my door busted opened and hit the wall.

"Ooooh shit," Lina cringed at how loud the door was when it smacked against the wall.

"Lina!" I scolded, "be careful."

"Sorry," she chuckled and walked through the maze of unpacked boxes over to my bed. "When are you going to unpack?"

"Michael is coming over to help me with that," I stuck my notebook inside of the math book before I closed it. We had to move out of our old house because my mom insisted that the baby should have their own room. Plus, my grandma was coming to stay with us and my mom thought it was better that my grandma have a guest room to sleep in, not that I minded giving up mine for her to use. I was liking the new house better though. The rooms were bigger and now we had an upstairs as well as a basement; which my dad was currently trying to turn into a man cave.

"You've been out of the hospital for a over a month," she rolled her eyes and hopped up on my bed. "You can put up some of that stuff."

"I could but Michael insisted on helping me. Plus, I still get some pain when I'm moving around for long periods of time. I'm not fully healed, but the therapy is working."

I had been out of the hospital for a month, give or take a few days, after spending an entire month and half there. My parents started my physical therapy immediately after, they were determined to get back on my feet in no time. I still felt pain but it was much more bearable now than when I first got shot. Michael was also very helpful and encouraging in the process. He still is and occasionally on my good days we'll go to the gym and he'll help me out a little more. He wasn't a professional, but because he too knew the ordeal of being shot in the shoulder he was able to show me some of the exercises that he used to do. He just wanted me to get better and soon.

"Where is he at anyway?" Lina asked and I tried to scoot myself up against the headboard.

"He's in class," I replied and laughed. That still sounded weird coming out of my mouth. "He should be out in the next half an hour."

"Oh shoot," Lina snapped her fingers. "I forgot that he was taking those business classes."

"Yeah," I smiled widely like a little school girl and this made Lina laugh. "How are you? How is your arm?" I looked down at her casted arm that a whole bunch of people had already signed.

"I'm a warrior at school," she laughed. "No, but forreal it's all good. I'm just ready to graduate and get out of there."

"Yeah me too," I sighed and glanced over at the math book. Maybe I should give it another go. If it wasn't for Michael I would've given up and just attended summer school or something. I wouldn't even be graduating with my class if he didn't help me out with my work.

"Did you leave early today anyway? I didn't see you in drama."

"I was in some pain so I had my mom come and pick me up. I didn't want to be sitting in drama and dozing out from taking one of those pain killers. They make me tired. What did you guys do?"

"We just ran through some of the scenes," Lina sighed heavily. "Are you sure you're not up to playing Sparkle? Now Kearston gets to fucking play her and she's kissing all over my man and I don't appreciate it." I laughed at Lina's dramatics but I knew that she was serious. If I worked hard enough I'm sure that I could have still played sparkle, but I didn't want to. I was focused on getting better, nothing like a role in play really mattered to me.