Chapter 12

“How is she?” A female voice asks. I recognize the voice. I can’t remember her name and I can’t see her, but I know her.

“Stabile.” Phoenix. I know his voice. I’d recognize his voice everywhere. “She hasn’t awoken yet, but I’m not worried. It was a nothing like anything I’ve ever seen.” He continues. I want to see him. I don’t understand why I can’t open my eyes. I don’t like the darkness, it scares me. The last I remember was the pain the surrounded me in the darkness. At the same time it felt like it was years ago but also like it just happened a minute ago. I can’t move my body either. It hurts too much. It’s too heavy. It’s like somebody put a 100 pound steel blanket on top of me. It’s not only making it impossible for me to move, it is also making it impossible for me to breathe regularly. I feel like I’m in the midst of a panic attack.

“Her heart rate has picked up,” a different woman says and then I notice the beeping from a heart monitor, she’s probably a doctor. “She’s conscious. She can hear us, but she still can’t move. I’m guessing her body is still too sore from—“ the woman is cut off. I try to calm down. Why can’t I wake up? Why am I stuck in this horrible nightmare? I want to cry but I can’t.

“Jessica, baby. Can you hear me?” Frederick. He’s here. He’s come back to me! I want to smile. “Baby, don’t cry. I’m here. I’ll take care of you.” I feel his thumb on my cheek as he wipes away a tear. I’m crying. How can I cry when I can’t do anything else? I have no control over anything I’m doing.

“Fred, you have to go. I need some space.” The woman I’m guessing is a doctor says. I feel a pair of lips on my forehead. I remember reading somewhere that cold is just the absence of heat, and that’s the best way to describe my forehead after his warm lips disappeared. It felt colder, but I knew that was stupid, it was just colder because Fred’s lips were absent.

“Are you sure it won’t be dangerous to wake her up?” the familiar female voice says.

“No, but I know she can handle whatever is thrown her way. Can’t you see how well she’s healing? It is absolutely amazing!” the doctor woman gushes.

“I don’t understand how this happened though? The Academy should’ve known about her!” It is Sky. Sky is the female in the room. Finally the name came to me.

What are they talking about? Why should the Academy have known about me? Why is this happening to me? What is happening to me? I am lying in my blind state unable to ask what they’ll do to me, just wondering what is going on.

“She doesn’t know her father. Maybe she got the gene from him?” Phoenix says.

“Sure, that would make sense, except for the fact that I’ve haven’t heard of anyone who’s half-half for thousands of years. As far as anyone knows you have to get the gene from both of your parents to become one these days. But Jessica here, she’s the strongest I’ve seen in a while. She’s been suppressing it for so long, from what I’ve read in her files, she’s been cutting from she was sixteen. The gene was already awake in her by then, that’s why she cut herself. It was not only to let her emotional pain out, but also to release it. Her arms have healed now, but from what you told me, Phoenix, it sounded like it had been itching to get out.” 

“She’s amazing.” Phoenix whispered and suddenly I felt a couple of fingers stroking my cheek. It had been nice to know Fred was here, but now with Phoenix touching me, Fred is completely forgotten and I feel a fiery passion burn in the pit of my stomach. I want to open my eyes and look into his. I need to.

And then I do it.

My eyes flash open in a split second and I gasp for air. In a flash Phoenix grabs my hand and crouches by my side.